DVCV and Oil Cap hoses

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang Convertible
Thank Ya'll so much for making me feel welcome!

I really need help locating missing parts to my 1972 302 engine compartment. These are notes corresponding to the pictures that I post. May have to post in several threads.

1. DVCV 3 prong vacuum fitting. I have only one available port on my single point distributor.

2. Oil cap. Where does the hose go????

DVCV.JPG

Oil.JPG

1)
0900c15280053c99.jpg

center connection to the vacuum advance, top goes to ported vacuum on carb, bottom, full manifold vacuum on intake manifold.

see wiki also

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-under-the-hood-mysteries-distributor-vaccum-control-valve

2) PCV connect from the top of the cap to full manifold vacuum on the exterior of the intake manifold. you should have a vacuum tree on the intake manifold

Actually, the hose from the oil cap PCV valve should connect to a port at the bottom of the carb or carb spacer. You don't want to run it straight to the manifold, or you will lean out whatever cylinder is on the runner that the port is in. This is because, unlike vacuum lines for brake boosters or transmission vacuum modulators, there is actual airflow through the PCV system. By connecting at the carb, the air added from the PCV system to the fuel/air mixture is applied to all cylinders, instead of just one.

Last edited by a moderator:
The PCV inlet hose should be connected to the air cleaner (for factory closed emissions systems), but the outlet hose (from the PCV valve) goes to the carb or carb spacer. You should have fresh air going in one valve cover and crankcase vapors going out the other. Pre-emmisions open systems just used a breather cap for the inlet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back