Easiest way to raise rear end

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 "Q Code"
I just installed te KYB rear shocks, engine was installed a couple months ago. I figured that the front spings would drop more but have not. I have a 351C and FMX transmisission installed and would like to have a taller stance in the rear end. I am good with ordering new leaf springs but would rather not have to change spings in front. Any and all thoughts appreciated. Thanks. 

Tom

NPD used to list a set of Eaton 1" longer rear shackles. I'm hoping they still carry them as I too want to raise the rear a tad. Last year, I got rid of a set of crappy Grab-A-Track springs. They did raise the rear over 2" and that was too much, so I installed 1" lowering blocks. Long story not for here today, but I replaced them with Eaton Boss 351 springs @ 153lb spring rate, along with the revised Addco 7/8" sway bar. Beware of cheapo springs of unknown material place of origin. Eaton can custom make your springs at an extra cost. Call and ask. There are many thread/post on this here.

NPD used to list a set of Eaton 1" longer rear shackles. I'm hoping they still carry them as I too want to raise the rear a tad. Last year, I got rid of a set of crappy Grab-A-Track springs. They did raise the rear over 2" and that was too much, so I installed 1" lowering blocks. Long story not for here today, but I replaced them with Eaton Boss 351 springs @ 153lb spring rate, along with the revised Addco 7/8" sway bar. Beware of cheapo springs of unknown material place of origin. Eaton can custom make your springs at an extra cost. Call and ask. There are many thread/post on this here.
I am currently using the Eaton 1" longer shackles. Note that you will raise the car by 1/2 of the additional shackle length. The Eaton 1" longer shackles will raise the rear about 1/2". Also, keep in mind that any deflection occurring at the bushings will be multiplied due to the longer shackle. That said, I suggest replacing at least one bushing pair with polyurethane so to have the lower pair with rubber and the upper pair with PUR.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am currently using the Eaton 1" longer shackles. Note that you will raise the car by 1/2 of the additional shackle length. The Eaton 1" longer shackles will raise the rear about 1/2". Also, keep in mind that any deflection occurring at the bushings will be multiplied due to the longer shackle. That said, I suggest replacing at least one bushing pair with polyurethane so to have the lower pair with rubber and the upper pair with PUR.
!/2" is about what I figured the total lift would be at the center wheel arch. Too lazy to do the math!! Interesting point on the bushings. On my car, that extra 1/2" would make the "gap" around the wheel to quarters pretty much even. 

Anyone have part numbers on the 1" longer shackles and bushings? I'd like to do this also. 

Going to sound odd to all you east coast guys, but I just put my car up for the summer the other day. The boat has taken back over the garage. I'll get the car back out in October when we are done boating, and then the boat will go into storage. Supposed to be 114* here next week. Anyway, got a decent side shot of her when putting her away. I have always wanted the rear end to sit a tad higher, and I don't dare think I drop the front. What do you guys think? 

20210607_152459.jpg

Now I'm not spending money on other sh*t these days, (other than more beer) I am going to get a pair of the Eaton 1" longer rear shackles as soon as the border reopens and I can get to NPD in Detroit (well, Canton actually). I have a few other odds and sods I need as well. I figure that extra approx 1/2" raise will do what I want as far as the stance is concerned.

I've been biting my tongue for a couple of days now...

To answer your question as to the easiest way to raise the rear end: use a hydraulic jack under the pumpkin; guaranteed to raise the rear of the car.

I've been biting my tongue for a couple of days now...

To answer your question as to the easiest way to raise the rear end: use a hydraulic jack under the pumpkin; guaranteed to raise the rear of the car.
I was debating taking this in a whole different direction.

But seriously, @vintageman I like the stance right now. I agree with you on leaving the front where it is. The backend could benefit from about an inch more of height.

Mike

I too would like to see that pic. as I'm also thinking of installing the 1" longer shackles. It ought to raise the car at center wheel arch about 1/2" ( and no, I did not do the math, just a guess).

Back