Ebay car - something odd

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Magnums are not finished as well as many other things, but that is what first jumps out at me in the exterior shots. Front bumper and hood trim add to the visual feedback.

Yeah, maybe I'm just used to seeing body-colored hood trim and painted urethane bumpers on Mach 1s...

I'll start by saying at least they are not starting at almost 50K. Like the two other auction cars we've discussed, you don't really know what's under that shiny paint. And we all know that with a 40+ year old car, unless it's been a garage kept pampered pooch, they grow rust! The magnums remind me of the argent Magnums the early 69 Boss 302 used. They don't seem to be making a lot of loud claims about rare items or one of our favorites, "Functional Ram Air". They did mention the rare AC. The Marti reports on my 71 Mach 1's show 1 of 14,559 for Selectaire AC. Guess it depends on who you talk to as the rarity of AC. Since it is a "M" code, the Mach 1 chrome exhaust tips would probably look better than the chrome turn down's they have used. The chrome on the front end is probably out of necessity. To quote Mr 4X4, the urethane front bumpers are made of unobtainium. Doesn't look bad, I just prefer the OE look on the front end. My eyes are starting to gloss over from the glow of that Grabber Blue paint, so I better quit looking!

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple little things... should have the deluxe shifter handle and the hood stripe and argent paint out are not to factory specs. There are numerous other items, just thought I throw a couple of the less obvious. The wheels definitely need to be changed out and the correct tips installed, just too obvious for my liking...

Have got so used to seeing the 73 taillights on 71-2 cars it almost doesn't register anymore. A lot of my friends said it was a PIA to paint the black so they use them as they are.

The 71-72 standard Mustangs came with chrome bumpers and hood and fender moldings. Boss 351's came with body color hood and fender moldings and a chrome bumper. Mach 1's had the body color urethane bumper and fender-hood moldings. There were some special editions such as 71 Spring, 72 Sprints that received the Mach 1 style grill, bumper and front end moldings. The Grabber Blue car in this auction is a "05" so it left the factory with the body color urethane bumper and moldings.

Starter cable from battery is wrong color, isn't it?

No mention on the Marti report. Safe to say it didn't leave Dearborn with stripes. And since the lower moldings are also made out of unobtainium (Mr 4X4 needs to patent that word and get royalties from it) I can't see someone trying to add those to a vehicle. Also too much of a pain to remove and deal with holes/studs left behind. That's why you see so many 71/ Mustangs with stripes and lower body moldings.

While the buy it now price of $35,888 is substantially lower than the two other auction cars we've discussed, still feel like there is a lot of tweaking/fine tuning needed!

Like some have said should have only the Mach 1 sticker on front fender and no side stripe with the lower side molding. If you got the argent or black on the hood you got locks that are missing. I didn't notice did it have space saver spare with the fold down? It does look better than some of the high dollar bling cars but no where near original.

I just discovered something yesterday the lower side molding for the black out or argent paint is different on 71-72 and 73. The front piece on the 71-72 goes between the lower valance and the fender the 73 is bolted on the lower valance below where the fender meets.

David

Other than what has been mentioned, here are my observations:

Front bumper is too far back - there should be plastic fillers between the fender and the front bumper. Rear taillamp housing blackout, there doesn't appear to be any speakers behind the speaker grills in the doors, non-stock steering wheel, I don't think the brite strip/camera cases finish around the instrument panel and passenger cove was available in '71, door ajar/lamp switches had dark plungers, lower panel on door panels should be carpeted (looks vinyl from the pictures), missing center trim on window cranks, hose routing in some areas of the engine compartment seems off, (were hood hinges ever painted body color?), starter solenoid should be black, missing plastic leaf guards on fenders by windshield, gas tank straps wrong color.

What's up with the seat belts? No gas pedal Bezel.

My biggest problem is that the photo looks touched up. It may have been to just remove the background, but it gives it a odd look on the white background.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eye cancer by looking at the engine bay... typical mix up from a lots of different parts... And the semi gloss black paint was only sprayed over the original paint without preparing right as you can see in some pictures...

The stencil for the tutone hood treatment was layed down too close to the front of hood...

One more surprise bag which real condition you can only estimate by a visit!

Back