edelbrock 1406 questions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
work in progress
302 automatic
[url=https://ibb.co/cwk3bw3][img]https://i.ibb.co/DYzWGYW/IMG-3420.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://statewideinventory.org/used-cars]statewide auto sun valley[/url]
I have a 302 (from a 88 thunderbird) with a edelbrock 1406 carb.  The chock has been removed, the fast idle linkage is gone and the two top air flaps are missing too.   Are these items needed for the secondary jets to work properly?  How do I know secondaries work??

thanks

Bob

I have the same carb on my 73 vert with 302.

You will have a tough time getting the engine to run at a cold start.

You will need the choke flap and linkage, electric or manual choke to start consistently.

A new carb ready to go is $365.00, you can find them rebuilt and complete for much less.

I hope this helps,

Heavy Metal

I have the same carb on my 73 vert with 302.

You will have a tough time getting the engine to run at a cold start.

You will need the choke flap and linkage, electric or manual choke to start consistently.

A new carb ready to go is $365.00, you can find them rebuilt and complete for much less.

I hope this helps,

Heavy Metal
It actually starts and idles pretty good but it's only driven in good dry warmer  weather.  I was really trying to figure out if the rear (secondaries) are pulling in. I can't get them to pull in sitting in the garage.  Since they are vacuum controlled I don't know of a way to test them.

Thanks

Bob

The choke has nothing to do with the secondaries. If you open the throttle plates by hand to wot, the secondary plates should open too. Actually they should open just before you get to wot.
Should the throttle plates open when the engine is not running?

Personally, I'm not  a fan of Edelbrock anything, and I am no expert by a long shot, but the (vacuum I assume) secondaries only open under load, i.e. when driving the car under hard acceleration. The best way to find out if the secondaries are opening is to place a paper clip on the shaft under the vacuum diaphragm at the top of the rod. When you get back, if the secondaries opened, the paper clip will be at the bottom  of the shaft.

If it were me, I'd junk that pos and buy a Quick Fuel, Holley or a Summit Racing's carb best suited for your engine. You're never going to get the best out of any engine with a crap carb.

Last edited by a moderator:
The choke has nothing to do with the secondaries. If you open the throttle plates by hand to wot, the secondary plates should open too. Actually they should open just before you get to wot.
No.
with the car in park, should I be able to see them open with wot by hand?  

thanks

Bob

I'm also running the 1406 on my '73 302.

I notice that you are using the Lokar Kickdown cable with the stock throttle cable. 

Would it be possible for you to post some pictures of the rest of the cable route? 

I'm specifically looking for how the throttle cable and kickdown cable run in relation

to each other and the tranny mount end of the kickdown cable, especially if you have a C-4.

Thanks,

Mike

No.
with the car in park, should I be able to see them open with wot by hand?  

thanks

Bob
 No. read above post. If mechanical, do the same thing, but on the operating shaft if that makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I'm not  a fan of Edelbrock anything, and I am no expert by a long shot, but the (vacuum I assume) secondaries only open under load, i.e. when driving the car under hard acceleration. The best way to find out if the secondaries are opening is to place a paper clip on the shaft under the vacuum diaphragm at the top of the rod. When you get back, if the secondaries opened, the paper clip will be at the bottom  of the shaft.

If it were me, I'd junk that pos and buy a Quick Fuel, Holley or a Summit Racing's carb best suited for your engine. You're never going to get the best out of any engine with a crap carb.
+1

I notice that you are using the Lokar Kickdown cable with the stock throttle cable. 

Would it be possible for you to post some pictures of the rest of the cable route? 

I'm specifically looking for how the throttle cable and kickdown cable run in relation

to each other and the tranny mount end of the kickdown cable, especially if you have a C-4.

Thanks,

Mike
the tranny is a AOD.  Both the engine and tranny are from the thunderbird.  let me know if you want any pictures.

Bob

+1
The fact that it runs so well in spite of it all is a testament of how awesome Edelbrock's are - try getting a Holley to run missing half it's sh!t.  :whistling:  :cool:

rofl

+1
The fact that it runs so well in spite of it all is a testament of how awesome Edelbrock's are - try getting a Holley to run missing half it's sh!t.  :whistling:  :cool:

rofl
 Yeah, they just 'look funny' like they're on sideways!! We're really so used to seeing a carb with fuel bowls back and front, so when they're mount on the sides, it just looks wrong on a classic car configuration. Just my opinion I guess.

rofl
 Yeah, they just 'look funny' like they're on sideways!! We're really so used to seeing a carb with fuel bowls back and front, so when they're mount on the sides, it just looks wrong on a classic car configuration. Just my opinion I guess.
No worries.  Just messin' with ya.   ::thumb::

rofl
No worries.  Just messin' with ya.   ::thumb::
 I know. There's half the fun. Most of us take it all in stride and don't take it seriously.

Thanks,

Mike
the tranny is a AOD.  Both the engine and tranny are from the thunderbird.  let me know if you want any pictures.

Bob
If you wouldn't mind I'd like pictures of the throttle cable and kickdown mount (just to the right of your 3rd picture in the OP). I'd also like to know if/how the cable "curves around" from the tranny to the engine. The installation instructions don't show how the cable rubs from the transmission back to the carb.

Mike

The Edelbrock carburetors have both a mechanical throttle plate and an air valve for the secondaries. The mechanical throttle plates are opened by a connection from the primary throttle system after the primary plates are 65% open. The mechanical secondary plates have to be open before the air valve opens. The air valve is what you see when you look at the top of the carburetor. The air valves have counterweights on them that control their opening. The air valves are opened by air velocity into the engine, not vacuum. Page 6 of the Owner's manual explains it:

https://www.edelbrock.com/edelbrock-technical-resource-center

I have a 302 (from a 88 thunderbird) with a edelbrock 1406 carb.  The chock has been removed, the fast idle linkage is gone and the two top air flaps are missing too.   Are these items needed for the secondary jets to work properly?  How do I know secondaries work??

thanks

Bob

Your carb is missing the trap door above the secondaries, this will cause secondary to open much too soon, ALL edelbrock cars are AVS carter style carbs. Air valve secondary. You are also missing choke on primary, this will not affect secondary, get a new carb, someone screwed yours up taking off secondary upper trap door. Look at edelbrock website to better understand.

Back