Edelbrock Carb Empties

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, Q code, 4 speed, 3.25, A/C, P/S
Hi!

I have a 650 AVS2 carb. If I let it sit for more than a few days I have to turn the engine over for a long time before it'll start.

I'm assuming the carb is draining when it's sitting? It runs fine otherwise.

Typical solution?

If it sits long enough, the fuel will evaporate below the level required to quickly start the engine. Chuck

I think the 2 most probable things are its evaporating or the fuel line down to the pump is draining.

In my truck, and in some other vehicles I've seen, a cheap 1-way valve in the fuel line close to the carb inlet solved it.

That's just how an Edelbrock rolls. I've run them several times and they all did it.

It can't drain unless it has a bad casting as Don suggested. You can rule that out by removing it from the car and filling the bowls. Let it sit for a couple days and see if it leaks onto the bench.

You can try adding an insulating spacer and gaskets under the carb. That'll keep the carb cooler overall an may give you a longer period of time before the bowl evaporate.

I think the 2 most probable things are its evaporating or the fuel line down to the pump is draining.

In my truck, and in some other vehicles I've seen, a cheap 1-way valve in the fuel line close to the carb inlet solved it.
Interesting thought. I'm pulling the engine this winter. Perhaps I'll replace the pump as a precaution.

Mine did the same…rebuilt the carb, new fuel pump seems to of mostly solved the problem. I still smell a little gas up front, have no leaks, and have to pump the pedal while starting

Back