EFI Fuel Lines

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Sportsroof Bright Red.

I've been getting thing ready to install my Holley Sniper.  I have decided to replace the old steel line and also use a new 3/8 steel line for the return.  I've searched the forums but not a lot about what I'm looking for on them.   I'm looking at two options as far as running them from the tank. 

The first option and the one I want to do would be to follow the old original line up to the front wheel well.  At that point I would like to turn a 90 toward the tranny and then come up there to the engine bay.  The problem is the front frame rail.  I would like to go through it right by the corner in front of where the parking brake cable goes through.  See pics below.   The question is if I drill a hole there big enough to get two 3/8 steel lines through will it compromise the frame rail.  If it will compromise the rail then could I maybe drill directly opposite of the parking brake hole where the cable goes in.  The hole on the back side of the rail where the cable comes out is farther back from the hole on the outside where the cable goes in.  

Option two would be to run the lines up the drive shaft tunnel.  If I do that I will put a shield over the lines.  Question here is what would you recommend to shield them with?  I was thinking of taking some sheet metal and making a shield from that.   All ideas welcome.    

New Fuel Lines.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would drill two separate small holes about an inch apart rather than one large hole. Welding sleeves in holes the frame rails would reinforce the holes and give the lines a good place to run through, rather than resting against the metal edges of the frame rail. I would not run fuel lines up the driveshaft tunnel. If a u-joint ever failed you would likely damage a fuel line and the sparks from the driveshaft banging the pavement would likely light it up.

I agree with Don. Drill two holes and use a piece of black iron pipe for a sleeve. Weld it in place and run your lines were you want. Would be a nice clean look. 

I would drill two separate small holes about an inch apart rather than one large hole. Welding sleeves in holes the frame rails would reinforce the holes and give the lines a good place to run through, rather than resting against the metal edges of the frame rail. I would not run fuel lines up the driveshaft tunnel. If a u-joint ever failed you would likely damage a fuel line and the sparks from the driveshaft banging the pavement would likely light it up.
After looking over things one more time I decided not to drill through the frame rail and instead I'm running them across the torque box.  I was going to be to close to the exhaust plus there was no room to make a connection if I went through the rail.   

I spent the better part of yesterday bending and fitting both lines.  I pretty much duplicated the original line where it runs under the rocker and into the wheel well.   I will make a shield to cover the lines at the torque box.  Here a couple of pictures of the finish lines.  I need to clamp them in place yet.  

20211112_123508_resized.jpg

20211112_150407_resized.jpg

20211113_085717_resized.jpg

20211113_085917_resized.jpg

20211113_085652_resized.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back