EGR Spacer gave up the ghost...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goforbroke

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande, Light Pewter
351C H code w/FMX transmission.
23k original miles
Good Morning,

A few years back I inherited a 73 Mustang Grande in near showroom condition with 23k miles on the clock. A few weeks ago I set out to get it road worthy (it still had the 40 year old Good Year tires on it), tune it up, fresh gas, ect, ect. Its always been fired up every couple of months, but never idled really well. Long story short, I pulled off the EGR spacer when I went to rebuilt the carb, and it was completely rotted out, and had seized to one of the carb studs. I'm trying to keep the car as original as possible, and would like to replace the spacer with a new one, or a good condition used one. Anyone have any ideas on where to source some nos? Thanks.

Good Morning,

A few years back I inherited a 73 Mustang Grandé in near showroom condition with 23k miles on the clock. A few weeks ago I set out to get it road worthy (it still had the 40 year old Good Year tires on it), tune it up, fresh gas, ect, ect. Its always been fired up every couple of months, but never idled really well. Long story short, I pulled off the EGR spacer when I went to rebuilt the carb, and it was completely rotted out, and had seized to one of the carb studs. I'm trying to keep the car as original as possible, and would like to replace the spacer with a new one, or a good condition used one. Anyone have any ideas on where to source some nos? Thanks.
I've gotten them off ebay.  Do you have a 4V set up or 2V?  

That J channel tends to rot out.

Good Morning,

A few years back I inherited a 73 Mustang Grandé in near showroom condition with 23k miles on the clock. A few weeks ago I set out to get it road worthy (it still had the 40 year old Good Year tires on it), tune it up, fresh gas, ect, ect. Its always been fired up every couple of months, but never idled really well. Long story short, I pulled off the EGR spacer when I went to rebuilt the carb, and it was completely rotted out, and had seized to one of the carb studs. I'm trying to keep the car as original as possible, and would like to replace the spacer with a new one, or a good condition used one. Anyone have any ideas on where to source some nos? Thanks.
I've gotten them off ebay.  Do you have a 4V set up or 2V?  

That J channel tends to rot out.

Here's one for a four barrel.  The gasket from the intake manifold to the spacer and from the spacer to the carb is also available.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mustang-Pantera-Ford-351-Cleveland-4V-Carburetor-Spacer-EGR-Vlave/292363211815?hash=item4412349427:g:ghEAAOSwfJJZYW8L&vxp=mtr

If you have a 2 barrel carb - well, I didn't deal with that on my car but I'm sure you can find that spacer as well!

goforbroke, Welcome to the site. Perfect place for you and your grande to call home.

To help find the proper replacement part, the 5th digit of your vin would identify the production installed engine and what spacer would be needed.

L-250 6cyl

F-302 2bl

H-351 2bl

Q-351 4bl

Like Twins posted, they do show up occasionally on E-Bay. Over the years a lot of them were given the trash can treatment  (like most of my friends did) when getting rid of all that evil Government stuff under the hood. I can check for a part number for you which might help simplify your search!

It has the H code motor. I spent about 6 hours on the phone yesterday searching a nos egr plate. I found out that most nos supply house reps are usually a bunch of old timers that love digging up info for you. I was able to narrow it down to about four different part numbers, and was informed of a website called www.partsvoice.com. I was able to locate a brand new one back in North Carolina. If you have the part number, I highly recommend you use this website. It told me what dealers had them in stock, quantity, and location! I think to prevent this from happening in the future, I'm going to fill the egr passage in the spacer, and the manifold with high temp epoxy. I'm not really concerned with emissions, and that plate might be harder to find in the future. Thanks for the info. Any addition info to prevent this from happening again is always appreciated.

web hosting images free

picture hosting websites free

First of all that car is beautiful. So you do have a 2 barrel carb/manifold. Amazing the part is available new.

I thought about filling in that opening as well and others can chime in but I think you may be better off leaving it alone unless you were actually going to weld the opening on the manifold side which I think some people have done.

I would be concerned that the epoxy would fail and dump crap into the engine.

Why not buy 2 egr spacers now if you are really concerned about availability. It will probably take a long time to eat through the new one and you'll have a spare.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the positive feedback! You cant really see it in the picture, but under the pvc line, there is a little pitting and erosion on the manifold gasket surface. I'm not sure if its going to seal properly or not. It's amazing that spacer rotted out after only 23k miles, but I guess a combination of ethanol fuel, lack of driving, and clogged up carb made the perfect storm. There's a few more things that need to be done, but I'm looking forward to taking it out on the road, not just around the block to warm it up.

goforbroke, that is one very good looking grande! The parts voice site you referenced is a good source for NOS Ford parts. I have also used https://nospartsltd.com/ and http://www.greensalescompany.com/

They purchase a lot of inventory from Ford dealers who were more than happy to git rid of dust collecting parts that were ineligible to be returned to Ford.

The original EGR spacer is D3AZ-9A589-A (ID# D3AE-AA, AB). The original were aluminum and were very prone to burning out due to the excessively hot exhaust on the 73 engines. The replacement was cast iron and fixed the burn out problem that cost Ford a bunch in warranty repairs. The cast iron replacement D7PZ-9A589-P, Motorcraft CM-2645 (D7PE-PA) was used on 351C, and 73-74 400 2bl engines.

As Twins posted, I would be a little concerned about something coming loose and getting into the engine. With only 23K on your car I can certainly understand trying to keep it as original as possible. These engines were in the early stages of Government mandated emissions control and due to timing and many other components, were experiencing increased exhaust temperatures. Not sure how well the epoxy would do with the extreme temperature of the exhaust coming through the EGR plate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the positive feedback! You cant really see it in the picture, but under the pvc line, there is a little pitting and erosion on the manifold gasket surface. I'm not sure if its going to seal properly or not. It's amazing that spacer rotted out after only 23k miles, but I guess a combination of ethanol fuel, lack of driving, and clogged up carb made the perfect storm. There's a few more things that need to be done, but I'm looking forward to taking it out on the road, not just around the block to warm it up.
I'm thinking that pitting and erosion cant be as bad as that big missing section on the EGR spacer!  Hopefully, you will get a good seal and the car will run even better.  I love the Mach 1 look (hood scoops, spoilers, stripes) but lately I've come to really like the clean lines on cars like yours.

I have nothing useful to add but after seeing your car I just gotta say that it looks great! Love the colours! I hope you get it back on the road soon :)

I had the same issue with an aluminum EGR spacer. An iron version won't rot out, if you can find one.

Here is a picture of a 73 2v NOS aluminum plate and box with the part number.  I also have a cast iron 2v plate D7PE-9A589-BA. Not sure what it is for, but I don't think it will work on your car.

image upload

Rich, the D3OZ-9A589-B is the original aluminum EGR plate for the 73-74 302 2B. The D7PZ-9A589-B is the cast iron replacement for the D3OZ-B. If both of those are in your possession I would sure take care of them.  For folks like goforbroke and his 23K mile Grande, these type of parts are difficult to find as they strive to remain as original as possible. Like I posted earlier, a lot of these type parts were tossed in the trash can over the years so original and replacement plates are not very common.

Rich, the D3OZ-9A589-B is the original aluminum EGR plate for the 73-74 302 2B. The D7PZ-9A589-B is the cast iron replacement for the D3OZ-B. If both of those are in your possession I would sure take care of them.  For folks like goforbroke and his 23K mile Grandé, these type of parts are difficult to find as they strive to remain as original as possible. Like I posted earlier, a lot of these type parts were tossed in the trash can over the years so original and replacement plates are not very common.
Thanks Steve,

I do have them.  But the D7PZ-9A589-BA looks different than D3OZ-B. Also have a D7PZ-9A589-PA below that looks more like the D3OZ-B not sure what it is for.

Rich, since the cast iron version is more robust, it didn't need the same amount of reinforcement as the aluminum version. Although they differ in appearance, they still function the same. The D7PE-9A589-PA in your illustration is D7PZ-9A589-P (Motorcraft CM-2645) and is listed for the 73-74 351C and 400. These type of un-loved parts didn't have a very long life span. From personal experience and watching friends, a lot of these type emissions parts saw the trash can when "Cleaning Up" under the hood!  

Of all the Nos sites I normally check, only one showed inventory for (1) D7PZ-PA spacer plate. If you don't have an immediate need for yours, I would contact goforbroke and offer him a deal, since that is the  version he needs for his 73 Grande "H".   :)

Another suggestion is to tap and install large hex set screws, with red loctite into the intake and EGR spacer passages. I did this several years ago on a 73 Q code and they have not gone anywhere.

Back