Electric choke wiring question

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

Danno

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Fastback, Sportsroof
Wiring the electric choke to my Motor craft 2100.

I WAS going to go to the "S" terminal on the alternator like I did on my '66, but the lug is a push on type with a covered connector, so that won't work, and I don't really want to start splicing any wires into the charging system, ( followed the white wire down to the vr harness at the vr connector white wire).

Thinking of "maybe" going to my temp plug on the intake manifold?  Not too sure if I want to run a wire from the choke to the fuse block as I've seen suggested, but that'd be do able I guess.

I'm also wondering if 14 guage wire is ok? Thanks.......

Hemikiller

Tech Advisors
Staff member
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
65 coupe
Simple solution is to push your coil feed wire through the boot next to the white/black stripe wire and solder it to the side of the push on connector. 14GA is plenty large. 

Another option, but one that will be hot all the time the key is on, is the red w/yellow hash that powers the throttle position solenoid. 

Danno

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Fastback, Sportsroof
I don't think I have a TPS. Would going to the windshield wiper motor power wire be ok? The wire through the boot idea

is good too, except I'm not a good solderer, LOL! I know my limits............

Don C

Fords Forever
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Sportroof M code
The hot all the time wire that runs to the wiper motor is protected by a 6 amp circuit breaker in the switch. Running the wiper with the choke also drawing power may be enough to pop the breaker.

Sounds like now is a good time to practice soldering.

Hemikiller

Tech Advisors
Staff member
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
65 coupe
I don't think I have a TPS. Would going to the windshield wiper motor power wire be ok? The wire through the boot idea

is good too, except I'm not a good solderer, LOL! I know my limits............
All 71-73s have the wiring for the throttle position solenoid in place. Your 72 should be in the engine gauge harness by the carburetor on the driver's side - circled. The square is the plug that connects to the engine bay harness behind the intake. 

72_gauge_harness.JPG

1st73mach

Reaction score
All 71-73s have the wiring for the throttle position solenoid in place. Your 72 should be in the engine gauge harness by the carburetor on the driver's side - circled. The square is the plug that connects to the engine bay harness behind the intake. 

View attachment 55447
What do all of these connections go to? Some of them are hooked up on my 351c but the others are just hanging out due to my lack of knowledge of where everything is supposed to go. I cant find a wiring diagram to save my life. Any help is appreciated. 

Don C

Fords Forever
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Sportroof M code
Go to the top of this page, you'll find "7173 Wiki", click on it and you'll find wiring diagrams, download the one for your car.

If you need help deciphering them download the pdf here:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1 M code 351 4 speed

View attachment 55447
I was just looking at the repro engine gauge wiring harnesses for the 1971 351 C and none of them have either of the plugs in the square or the circle. Are the repro harnesses incorrect? 

midlife

Shorts checker
Reaction score
My Car
No Mustangs at the moment.
The 71 version has a single male plug that plugs into the headlight harness.  The 73 version is part of the 4 pin engine gauge feed harness.  What's displayed is the 72 version.

Hemikiller

Tech Advisors
Staff member
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
65 coupe
The gauge feed harnesses for each year are different.

71 only had the gauge and coil feed wires as part of the harness, so you'd only have three wires - coil, temp sender, oil sender. The AC clutch coil feed and the throttle position solenoid were separate jumper wires that plugged into the main harness. 

72 incorporated the TPS and AC leads into the harness. 

73 added the electric choke feed wire, as well as power feeds for the various emissions systems, which depended on the engine/trans combo. 

Last edited by a moderator: