Electric fuel pump

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach1 Q-code 351CJ
1968 289 Coupe
2005 Mustang V6 Legend Lime
1968 Chevrolet Nova
1964 Corvette Stingray
1986 Corvette "Official Pace Car"
1986 Mercedes 190D
Guys,

I think i have to buy myself a electric fuel pump.

I need to know what kind i have to buy!?

How many psi fuel pump do i need to buy and how many gph !?

I have a 351cj with aprox 300 hp, with a Edelbrock 650.

JB

Depends how much you want to spend? My carter gold doesn't require a fuel pressure regulator as it's designed as a direct replacement for the mechanical pump... eg: 4-6psi constant. I also installed a fuel pressure gauge to monitor the pressure to make sure my engine doesn't starve when I put the foot down. My engine is at least 300 HP and at 5000 rpm the gauge still reads a constant 5 psi. So it really depends on how crazy you want to go....

Almost any name brand pumps designed for use with a carburetor and a V8 will work. The carter mentioned will work as will the the Holley "Red" pump that does not require a regulator. Expect to hear the pump run. Chuck

Guys,

I think i have to buy myself a electric fuel pump.

I need to know what kind i have to buy!?

How many psi fuel pump do i need to buy and how many gph !?

I have a 351cj with aprox 300 hp, with a Edelbrock 650.

JB
Whats the reason ? Vapor lock ?

I just spent about a day or so curing a vapor lock problem on the new mach..Even though the setup the p.o. installed had a return line to the tank which was supposed to cure that problem..I currently have the car at about 6100ft altitude..What I ended up doing was fabricating a heat sink for the fuel pump & then running a electric pump as a "booster" pump in conjunction with the mech pump...so far so good..I used this pump

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRG-12S/

i've had alot of problems with holley black pumps. i switched to a aermotive ss pump and it was GTG. there is a aermotive ss pump that is internally regulated and is good up to 600hp.

however i wanted to run a mechanical pump before with a electric pump but alot of people will shy away from that because they said that if the diagram break in the mechanical pump that you can fill the crank case with gas super fast.

For some reason my carb looses it's fuel when the car is standing in the garage for a couple of days.

It is not ending up in the intake , so i asume the gasoline found its way back to the tank.

When i try ro start the car after a couple of days, it takes a long time to pump the gas from the tank to the carb. ( its remanufactured by Edelbrock in 2010 and is brand new )

I realy can't figure out whats wrong with the carb but i asumed that a electric pump makes a lot of difference.

JB

For some reason my carb looses it's fuel when the car is standing in the garage for a couple of days.

It is not ending up in the intake , so i asume the gasoline found its way back to the tank.

When i try ro start the car after a couple of days, it takes a long time to pump the gas from the tank to the carb. ( its remanufactured by Edelbrock in 2010 and is brand new )

I realy can't figure out whats wrong with the carb but i asumed that a electric pump makes a lot of difference.

JB
Evaporation ? High heat or altitude or a air leak in the fuel system somewhere ? Bad diaphragm in the pump not sealing 100% doesn't matter that it's brand new..I've had new parts right out of the box be bad or fail within a short time.

The biggest regrets I have is the fuel cell in the trunk and the noisy electric pump. In my opinion our older cars are not good canadates to electric fuel pumps on electric fans without electrical system upgrades.

If I had my way and the $$$$ and time I would put it all back the way it was.

I do like the aluminum fuel line once I purchased high quality tubing benders and flaring kit.

There are some good posts here. If you run the Holley Blue pump or Mallory 140 pump you will need a regulator and a return line the same size as the supply line.

A small electric would be the ok option with replacing the mechanic pump as your best bet.

Back