Electric mustang from UK?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mustangandy

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Cobra Jet 429 Ram Air C6 auto 3.50 traction loc
[url=https://ibb.co/Wtx4kTW][img]https://i.ibb.co/dgWwPh0/mine1.jpg[/img][/url]
From the car mag Autocar. 

Why not I guess and if you have £300,000 you don't need..... Hopefully they won't refer to it as a 'muscle car' cos it certainly won't qualify for that status!

London-based Charge Automotive has confirmed that its electric Ford Mustang will make its debut at next month’s Goodwood Festival of Speed

The start-up company will produce 499 battery-powered examples of the iconic muscle car, using officially licensed 1960s-style bodyshells 

(67 I believe). Prices will start at £300,000!

Fitted with a 64kWh battery pack and electric motors producing 469bhp, the limited-edition model is said to be significantly faster than the V8-powered Mk1 Mustang upon which it's based.

Charge Automotive claims a top speed of 149mph and 0-60mph time of 4.0sec from its creation, with torque output rated at 885lb ft. 

The electric Mustang’s part-time four-wheel drive powertrain is supplied by EV technology company Arrival. It's claimed to have a range of 200 miles and is capable of 50kW DC charging.

Further details about the model remain scarce, but a personalised digital interface is said to feature as part of a ‘high-end’ interior. 

Money aside, this looks much better than the electric cars I see on TV these days. Specs are also more "juicy".

It's like if most manufacturers think the average joe has no eyes and will be gladly switch to an ugly green snail sold 3x times the price of gas car just like that...

I wonder how long it will take before a start-up begins to offer electric powered wheels for our cars...

Money aside, this looks much better than the electric cars I see on TV these days. Specs are also more "juicy".

It's like if most manufacturers think the average joe has no eyes and will be gladly switch to an ugly green snail sold 3x times the price of gas car just like that...

I wonder how long it will take before a start-up begins to offer electric powered wheels for our cars...
For now I think manufacturers of EV's are being very conservative in their design, probably not to be too radical but also most are based on existing petrol/diesel versions. Be interesting to see what Dyson's EV will look like as they are starting with a clean sheet, no legacy models.

Aston Martin and Jaguar are already offering EV conversion packages for DB5 and E-type respectively and, I'm sure, will in time offer others too. Can't see the likes of Ford doing this as they'll want to sell the newer EV offerings. I've got mixed feelings in general about this whole classic conversion thing. I guess a beautiful car, with a crap engine, may lose very little of it's essence as a result but for a car with an iconic engine  - well, that would be sacrilege to me!

What about sound from the engine...probably computer generated huh?  lollerz
Indeed! Everyone from BMW to Porsche are doing it these days. In a few years and, in Europe at least, the permitted noise levels will be much lower so I guess the only sound you'll hear will be INSIDE the car and artificially created at that!!

[that would be sacrilege to me!]

Over here, fuel is already $7,68 a gallon. Regulations already bans pre 90's cars from entering some cities or part of them and I expect more legislations will be introduced to force/motivate people to let go the combustion engine.

At some point, less gas stations to refuel, higher costs will make driving a old V8 thirsty car very difficult.

So while I'd prefer keep the sound of the V8 at all time, if 2 of the 4 wheels could be electrified I would certainly look at the option.

Not now, not tomorrow, but this day wil come for sure. And I would certainly be happy to have an hybride option added by then to keep my old ladies rolling.

I was watching a show on TV the other day taking about latest discoveries in battery technology.

Do you know what makes a regular wood and lead pencil write? Static electricity, lol that is what they said. Some really sharp researcher has discovered when you put down a layer of graphite to one molecule thickness it turns into a battery. They have made some on small scale and they do work and preform better than anything found to date. What is great about them if in your car the whole car becomes the battery. They just coat all the panels with the graphite and it is the battery. No expensive and heavy and slow charging batteries. They charge faster than you can fill your gas tank with gasoline.

If that takes off it will revolutionize the electric car market.

When a Tesla shows up at the drag strip nobody stands a chance not even a Shelby or Hell Cat can beat them.

I do like the rumble of a V-8.

[that would be sacrilege to me!]

Over here, fuel is already $7,68 a gallon. Regulations already bans pre 90's cars from entering some cities or part of them and I expect more legislations will be introduced to force/motivate people to let go the combustion engine.

At some point, less gas stations to refuel, higher costs will make driving a old V8 thirsty car very difficult.

So while I'd prefer keep the sound of the V8 at all time, if 2 of the 4 wheels could be electrified I would certainly look at the option.

Not now, not tomorrow, but this day wil come for sure. And I would certainly be happy to have an hybride option added by then to keep my old ladies rolling.
Yes I can only see petrol rising steadily in price as EV's gain market share but I'd expect it to always be available. I don't drive mine so much so I'm not really bothered about the price - wouldn't have an old mustang if I was! Personally though I'd rather not drive it at all if battery propulsion had any part of it.

I was watching a show on TV the other day taking about latest discoveries in battery technology.

Do you know what makes a regular wood and lead pencil write? Static electricity, lol that is what they said. Some really sharp researcher has discovered when you put down a layer of graphite to one molecule thickness it turns into a battery. They have made some on small scale and they do work and preform better than anything found to date. What is great about them if in your car the whole car becomes the battery. They just coat all the panels with the graphite and it is the battery. No expensive and heavy and slow charging batteries. They charge faster than you can fill your gas tank with gasoline.

If that takes off it will revolutionize the electric car market.

When a Tesla shows up at the drag strip nobody stands a chance not even a Shelby or Hell Cat can beat them.

I do like the rumble of a V-8.
Interesting possibility - I'd not heard anything of this

What about sound from the engine...probably computer generated huh?  lollerz
There are already discussions about EV's being too quiet and that they may require them to make a noise so pedestrians will know they are there. 

I vote for the Jetsons flying car sound...

I've got mixed feelings in general about this whole classic conversion thing. I guess a beautiful car, with a crap engine, may lose very little of it's essence as a result but for a car with an iconic engine  - well, that would be sacrilege to me!
"using officially licensed 1960s-style bodyshells " probably Dynacorn bodies, so no 'real' Mustangs are used. Plus, with the power specs.....it would be stonking and probably not temperamental.

Still a lot of money for a car that isn't already an appreciating vintage car.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had an electric Mustang once but, the C cells didn't last long and corroded. I gave it to a guy I really didn't like. Chuck

Latest posts

Back