electrical issues

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikleins29

Reaction score
My Car
71 fastback 351cleveland 4 speed
Hey guys does any one have or had issues with the fuel gauge and dash lights not working, if they are unrelated then what wires do I test that go from the light switch to the cluster. Just want to test the switch. And how would you suggest to diagnose the fuel gauge. I know what I would do on a new car. But many things could be the issue with forty year old wiring and conponants. I don't have a good wiring diagram and trying to use the one on the site with my mobile phone is not working great.

The two problems are definitely unrelated, unless the dash cluster connector or circuit card is bad.

To test the fuel gauge, simply turn the key to ACC, remove the sending wire plug at the tank, and briefly ground the wire. If the gauge works, it should peg high. Don't leave the sending wire shorted for any length of time.

The dash lights may be due to a bad fuse, a bad headlight switch, the headlight switch not turned to the proper direction, or a bad ground.

Back