Engine Feed help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang Convertible
Please check my work, I have a 1972 convertible, 302-2V, auto with factory air.

From the diagrams this is what I find for the engine feed routing:

1. Red with White=Temp sender

2. Red/Lite Green=Coil

3. White with Red=Oil Pressure sender

4. Black with yellow=AC

5. Red with yellow stripe, short plug in, where does it go???

Engine Feed.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
1-4 are correct. Assuming it is the original gauge feed harness, 5 is likely to power throttle idle speed solenoid on the carb. It was a running change during the 72 model year. Best guess is the change occurred January-March 1972. Perhaps Midlife has more information on the subject. Chuck

1-4 are correct. Assuming it is the original gauge feed harness, 5 is likely to power throttle idle speed solenoid on the carb. It was a running change during the 72 model year. Best guess is the change occurred January-March 1972. Perhaps Midlife has more information on the subject. Chuck
There's not a lot of documentation available on this, and I don't have the level of knowledge that I would like on these gauge harnesses. It took me 2 years to find someone that knew what the throttle solenoid sensor was all about.:blush:

Red/Yellow is the throttle position sensor line (and is a great pickup point for an electric choke). Black/yellow is for the A/C clutch. You got the three other lines correct.

It is called an Idle solenoid...it senses nothing, base idle is set with the idle screw; if you set the idle with that screw at say 800 RPM in drive, the engine will diesel when the key is turned off.

Something was needed to set hot idle up higher and relax when the key was turned off...so, they used a solenoid.

The below comments are from a year ago. (see picture below) I am putting the car back together now. I installed an edelbrock carb with electronic choke. It has a red and black wire from the carb. Can I run the red and black wire to the Red/Yellow connection on the engine harness??? Would that make the ground, or should I run the black wire to a ground and red to the Red/yellow connection? Also, would you have the connector that I need or suggest where to buy one??

There's not a lot of documentation available on this, and I don't have the level of knowledge that I would like on these gauge harnesses. It took me 2 years to find someone that knew what the throttle solenoid sensor was all about.:blush:

Red/Yellow is the throttle position sensor line (and is a great pickup point for an electric choke). Black/yellow is for the A/C clutch. You got the three other lines correct.

Carb to Engine feed.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back