Engine Install with Headers (AOD)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
351C 4V - C6
Blue with Blue interior
I wanted to ask here since most of my experience pulling and installing engines has been with fox bodies with 5.0's. Im getting ready to pull the 351C out of my 72. And while Im not too worried about pulling it, I was curious about installing it with long tubes. I have a set of coated Hooker 6915 headers and I want to keep the ceramic in as good of shape as possible when installing. With my 5.0 I used to just leave the headers on, but wasnt sure if I can get the engine in and the headers under the trans if I have the headers on the engine. So just looking for some info if it works, or if the headers have to be installed after the engine is back in the car. May have also sourced an AOD so was also curious if anyone has any experience with these headers fitting around an AOD. 

The 6915s will slide in up from underneath after the engine is in. You might be able to get the passenger side in from the top. 

Can't help with the AOD, I run toploaders. 

Good to know, I had thought that if they could go in with the engine I could throw a couple towels in the engine bay to keep them from getting too banged up. But thats good to know they go in pretty smooth from underneath too. 

I'm running Hooker headers and have an AOD.  No issues at all and, like Hemikiller stated, the headers are an easy fit from under the car.  If you go with the AOD you may want to look into a lower gear ratio than the stock.  I went from the stock 3.25 gears, which made the car seem sluggish with the AOD, to 3.89 on a TruTrac and am happy with the result.  I would recommend 3.50, 3.70, or 3.89 depending on your goal.

I'm running Hooker headers and have an AOD.  No issues at all and, like Hemikiller stated, the headers are an easy fit from under the car.  If you go with the AOD you may want to look into a lower gear ratio than the stock.  I went from the stock 3.25 gears, which made the car seem sluggish with the AOD, to 3.89 on a TruTrac and am happy with the result.  I would recommend 3.50, 3.70, or 3.89 depending on your goal.
Already have a set of 3.50 and a limited slip that will be going in over the winter. Thats why I had been looking at the AOD swap. Found a trans for a good price, now just want to see what else I need to do the swap. Mostly curious if you can use the stock shifter since most things I see dont seem to mention the shifter. 

You can place the headers in the engine bay and then install the motor. I did it like that once.

I dont see how you could install the motor with the headers on. Maybe some shorties will or without the steering components.

My AOD came out of an '89 GT w/3.00:1 rear gears, which coincidentally is what came in my '71 H-Code.  No issues off the line... then again, I'm not racing it, either.

Hooker Comp Headers fit just fine.

View attachment 26901

The factory FMX crossmember could use a little more trimming, but still clears with a big notch.

View attachment 26900

View attachment 25553

Hope this helps.

Already have a set of 3.50 and a limited slip that will be going in over the winter. Thats why I had been looking at the AOD swap. Found a trans for a good price, now just want to see what else I need to do the swap. Mostly curious if you can use the stock shifter since most things I see dont seem to mention the shifter. 
I used the stock shifter. I think I used an aftermarket shifter linkage at the transmission, but it's been so long I don't recall the brand. It was one of the Mustang parts places out of California. Mustangs Plus or Cal Pony Parts. It's doable, though.

Back