Engine numbers, do they match?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible, 351 C2V, 3 Speed Manual Transmission, Decor Group, Color Keyed Racing Mirrors. 6C Medium Goldenrod, White Knit Vinyl Bucket
Hi guys & gals. I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, I feel like we should have a forum topic called "Documentation". That said, here goes; My VIN is 2F03H196955, and my Stang was built in May 17th,1972. The engine block seems to fall in line, having been cast on April 25 1972, which is amazingly close it seems, but possible for sure. Knowing that, I can't really read the engine block stampings. Is this normal for Ford, because my Chevrolet's have been very readable by comparison? I threw one in to show the difference in the stampings. I have loaded several pics of the stampings on the 351 C 2V for you to see. Let me know your thoughts

Attachments

• thumbnail (11).jpg
    thumbnail (11).jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail (9).jpg
    thumbnail (9).jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail (8).jpg
    thumbnail (8).jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail (7).jpg
    thumbnail (7).jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail (6).jpg
    thumbnail (6).jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 0
  • vin of Tory's block.JPG
    vin of Tory's block.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
The guy that stamped that block must have been drunk when he did this, but it does seem to be the matching numbers block. I can see the 2F and then at the end the 6955, the 1 and the 9 are more difficult to see, but it seems that they are there... I have not seen one this bad, but I am sure that there are others just as bad or worse out there.

It really is amazingly bad isn’t it? I was hoping someone else thought it looked like it was possibly correct, rather than just my wishful thinking, I thought maybe I was making it up in my head.LOL!

Yep, that's what they look like sometimes. I find it's the Dearborn cars that are the worst, they look like they freehanded the stamps. The other plants look to have used a punch holder to keep the stamps in line at the least.

Dearborn toploader from my late 71 XR7

toploader_vin_stamp.jpg

Two Atlanta blocks from the Torino/Montego line

289_302_VIN_STAMP_LOCATION.jpg

351c_block_vin.jpg

Back