Engine oil

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manyo

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
Hello all

I just had my 351 C M code rebuilt and my engine builder told me to use Rottela Diesel engine oil 15w 40 in it . Your thoughts? I guess it has zinc it.

Thanks!!

I've never heard of that. I always used a break in oil. Look at Royal Purple or something like that. Hey I just noticed you live in Washington Twp Mi...so do I! Where are you at? I'm @ West Rd. & Vandyke.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never heard of that. I always used a break in oil. Look at Royal Purple or something like that. Hey I just noticed you live in Washington Twp Mi...so do I! Where are you at? I'm @ West Rd. & Vandyke.

So you are the guy!! I have seen you around town last fall for the first time. How long have you had your car? I am at 26 mile and Van Dyke. I have lived there since 94. I have a Mach 1 virtually identical to yours , same color and all. I am about 90 % complete with my restoration. Mine is a 71. I will drop you an email.

Hello all

I just had my 351 C M code rebuilt and my engine builder told me to use Rottela Diesel engine oil 15w 40 in it . Your thoughts? I guess it has zinc it.

Thanks!!
Check out this website it might help you decide what is better. Myself I use Rotella in my Diesel truck but not my Mustang. They reformulated the diesel

oil for the 2007 and newer Diesels because of the particle filters in the exhaust system. Modern diesels have had catalyst converters for at least 12 yrs. I know this because I've had a few diesel trucks and have changed my own oil for years. I hope I have answered part of your question:run_horse::run_horse:scan0004.jpg

Hello all

Thanks!!
Check out this website it might help you decide what is better. Myself I use Rotella in my Diesel truck but not my Mustang. They reformulated the diesel

oil for the 2007 and newer Diesels because of the particle filters in the exhaust system. Modern diesels have had catalyst converters for at least 12 yrs. I know this because I've had a few diesel trucks and have changed my own oil for years. I hope I have answered part of your question:run_horse::run_horse:
Thank you!!

Hello all

Thanks!!

oil for the 2007 and newer Diesels because of the particle filters in the exhaust system. Modern diesels have had catalyst converters for at least 12 yrs. I know this because I've had a few diesel trucks and have changed my own oil for years. I hope I have answered part of your question:run_horse::run_horse:
Thank you!!

use break in oil for break in . . joe gibbs is good.

as mentioned, do not use diesel engine oil.

use any oil with high levels of zddp after that . . adding zddp to oil that does nit have enough may not be the best idea . . better to jhust buy poil that is formulated with the right amount which is said to be from 1100 to 1400.

valvoline vr-1

joe gibbs old car oil

royal purple xpr and xps

brad penn has one as well as a couple other mfg's.

if you have a 2 piece rear seal, the synthetic oil may weep out.

Unreal! I can't believe it's such a small world! Beautiful Car! I got mine last May, & they do look almost identical. I've never seen yours, been in restoration for awhile? Looks awesome Drop me an email.
Is that ford screaming yellow?

Back