Engine running signal for relay

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 w/408C stroker
I currently have a vacuum pump that is activated by a relay when the ignition is turned on. I would like to change that to activate the relay only when the engine is on. Can I get this signal from somewhere? Maybe the alternator? Off course, I don't have the stock alternator but rather a 3G type. Please share your ideas. Thank you.

Don't know about the alternator but you could use an oil pressure safety switch and do away with the relay.
Good idea. After I wrote the post and kept looking online I was reading about oil pressure switches. Then I remember that I actually have a low pressure light that is activated by a low pressure switch, which means that I will need a NC relay that opens when the pressure is low. Then the relay would have a positive signal from the ignition as is now (but connected to the NC terminal), and grounded through the low pressure switch.

Good idea. After I wrote the post and kept looking online I was reading about oil pressure switches. Then I remember that I actually have a low pressure light that is activated by a low pressure switch, which means that I will need a NC relay that opens when the pressure is low. Then the relay would have a positive signal from the ignition as is now (but connected to the NC terminal), and grounded through the low pressure switch.
Sounds like it should work. Take a 5 pin relay and run the low pressure switch through 85 to 86. This will energize it with key on - engine off. Run your vacuum pump 30 to 87A. This will turn the pump on when engine pressure build and your light goes off. Leave 87 blank. You will need to get power from the key on/switch on to go to either 30 or 87A. Hope this makes sense to you.

relay_pic.jpg

Sounds like it should work. Take a 5 pin relay and run the low pressure switch through 85 to 86. This will energize it with key on - engine off. Run your vacuum pump 30 to 87A. This will turn the pump on when engine pressure build and your light goes off. Leave 87 blank. You will need to get power from the key on/switch on to go to either 30 or 87A. Hope this makes sense to you.

View attachment 67592
Exactly. I actually have had the vacuum pump wired for 3 years on key on so I just need to add the pressure switch to the ground of 85-86. For those that can follow all this electric stuff I also have a vacuum activated solenoid connected to a vacuum reservoir so the vacuum pump comes on at 17ish and goes off at 22ish. The vac reservoir is also connected to the manifold vacuum through a one-way valve to help with vacuum.

Back