Engine swap question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That‘s good advice. Treat the problem like an onion, one layer at a time. Even if you end up with a full rebuild of your short block, you’ve still have to inspect the motor before to ensure it’s rebuildable, or at least the initials steps of that process. Remove the distributor, intake, and see what that layer reveals. If that doesn’t look like bad, then the water pump and timing cover. It’s gonna have to be done at some point. Just saying.

Probably in the valley under the intake is where the pushrod ended up.
I too would pull the intake and check a the lifters and pushrods. You might get lucky and have a decent running motor after a little attention. Or at least buy some time before having to rebuild...unless you are wanting it to go that way.
I'd say have a little fun 'fixing' it. Even if it isn't perfect, it is satisfying.
Ahh that would make sense. I was wondering the couple spots it could be. The valve covers came off pretty easy so I also thought maybe the PO saw the problems, and put the covers right back on. I think I’m going to do a full rebuild, but wait until I can also add an upgraded intake, and a 4bbl. Will probably do a tranny rebuild at the same time, since mines puking fluid out of the front seal. Going to be a few months before I’m able to do all this though. Sucks but that’s okay! It will be worth it

That‘s good advice. Treat the problem like an onion, one layer at a time. Even if you end up with a full rebuild of your short block, you’ve still have to inspect the motor before to ensure it’s rebuildable, or at least the initials steps of that process. Remove the distributor, intake, and see what that layer reveals. If that doesn’t look like bad, then the water pump and timing cover. It’s gonna have to be done at some point. Just saying.
Yeah I kind of think it initially happened because of either a cheap or broken timing chain. So I would prefer to spend a lot of money once, than to assume the rest is fine and end up right back at the same problem.

Got mine rebuilt at Arizona Engine Rebuilders. They were fair and honest. 602-278-9195
I’ll give them a shout! I talked with Engine Masters Automotive in Mesa

Just to share what I found. Forgot to add this to my original update. Biiiig yikes. A shop close to me quoted about $5500 for a full rebuild, that includes removal/installation. Will be doing the tranny at the same time, so putting away a little bit from each paycheck. Hopefully have her on the road in the next 4ish months.

Attachments

• DF52FB99-0A73-47C9-9907-49997B6F8564.jpeg
    DF52FB99-0A73-47C9-9907-49997B6F8564.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
Back