Engine Vibration

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I truly dont know status of motor per se. The PO got it this way, but it appears to have been yanked and rebuilt and put back in. Every single area of car that could be touched seems to have been so it appears someone went all total resto. With that said, I took advice and went to garage today. Holy crap. ALL 4 MOTOR MOUNT BOLTS BARELY TIGHT, HAD 1/2-1 TURN LEFT ON THEM! That did help it alot. Still got some vibes even in neutral running in garage. I removed accessory belts today, no change. Odd part is this guy went to all this trouble to rebuild everything but from what I can see the motor mounts look original. I dont know how to test or judge them but I know if I was yanking a motor this old from this old car I would take time to go for new ones. Maybe its as simple as needing new rubber mounts?

So now I am theorizing on this engine mount thing. I scratched my head why the guy who took so much time and spent a bunch of cash doing everything else, did not do the motor mounts? Now I see from some research the 1973 has UNIQUE MOUNTS. Do we suppose he discovered that and gave up and just left the old ones? Id love to see if I can reduce me vibration some more with some new motor mounts.

Youch!!

That place is awesome but they don't have the cheapest prices on the planet that's for sure but i have always been able to get whatever odd piece i have been looking for from them in the past. Plus did you notice they said they are sold individually so that's an Each Price.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
The 73 mounts were designed to prevent the motor from breaking loose and winding up in the passenger compartment in frontal crashes. Part of the DOT safety thing in 73. Also I believe the motor sits a little lower too but not sure of this. Pat (Totalled) did a write up converting the 73 to use earlier mounts. I think he had pictures too but don't remember. Paul's description sounds right from what I remember. The 73 mounts are hard to come by so I think the $95 price is going to be the going price for rebuilt ones if you stick with 73 mounts.

Thanks all. I have read some old posts on subject but I am still confused. So if I dont care about concourse correct, then I can simply use 71-72 mounts with NO MODS, or is there some spacer filler I need to make or buy to get correct height? I see people using them, but then I read they are not exact fit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back