Engine won't fire up with Sniper

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are not getting light on the strobe then you are not getting spark.
+1.  There's something wrong with your ignition system, and pulling the dizzy isn't going to solve that problem.  Take the cap off, see if it still has its ground wire to the coil, rotor still there, etc.  If necessary, go back to points and try again.

Fabrice,

might want to check for voltage at the positive side of the coil.

check it with a test light/ volt meter , both in the crank and run positions.

Boilermaster

k, so adrenaline equalised a bit now :)

What was wrong: I really dunno. 

All I know, is that at plus coil, the ignition wire gave me 12v on key-on, but once the feed (red wire) of the pertronix is added (the expected way), got 8 volts key-on.

So jumped wired the positive and hooked it to plus battery. so only ignition wire would remain at coil positive. (turns out after it started, putting all back and still having

the 8 at coil, doesn't affect the start at all. So Pertronix v1 isn't the prob

Opened the dist, cleaned up all grounds, any screw. I've even grinded the holding plate of the pertronix ignitor (v1), so it could give me like 1 mm extra space of play.

set space to 0.1 mm. Removed all plugs wires cleanned all contacts from both sides, did same with cap dist and all poles.

Then moved to the plugs, this time after few attempts I just did, they were flooded. clean, brushed and cap set to 0.86mm they went back in.

Once al together, gave it a try again... it did not start right away, but after few rotations, the first good explosions occurred and there it went.

at first very rough and garage was a smoky place. Then after 15 secs, engine started sound as it should. Let it warm up, and stopped.

placed back the ignition coil, to see if it was the bad guy. Nope, fired up right away (the starter is really amazing). This time no hesitation, just like a new car.

It was idling bit high, so once warm, set it to 850, and unit obeyed without a hitch.

So not real clue about was was wrong. Even the stuffs I've cleaned were not that dirty or corroded, all was really in good shape.

I've started again few times, the starter isn't even engaged, it starts. so I can already see the hot start prob is a thing of the past.

I have not a clue why it did start, so now, I let it cool off till cold, and will try again..

and then there will be the distributor issue... its still not moving at all. even warm :(

but at least, timing I've set under carb combo, wasn't that bad. as you could see on vid, it roars nicely!

Good job. This may be one that you'll never know the cause of, could be a combination of Pertronix gap, loose or corroded connection, or who knows. The important thing, you got it running.

Back