Ever Take your Mustang out in the Snow?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spike Morelli

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1 ram air 351c H-code, fmx, ps,pb, medium yellow-gold, hubcaps and beauty rings.
I did, last year towing the drag hydro to The Boise Roadster Show. Someone caught both the car and the dragboat going through an intersection as it started to snow, and mailed it to me.

Attachments

• Hydro in snow.jpg
    Hydro in snow.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Yes indeed. Back between 1980-84, I had two 72 mach1's. The Q code was never winter driven, but the H code I bought for spares, found it to be too good for that, fixed it up and drove it as my winter beater. Even with 100 lbs of sandbags over the axle, it was a scary thing to handle, but could be fun at times.
Here's a pic. Notice the "snow tires". (the 73 stripes were given to me, so I used them, what the heck eh!)

Attachments

• 063_063_01.JPG
    063_063_01.JPG
    367.5 KB · Views: 1
Not driven, but did take some pictures. Down in the western corner of TN we didn't get snow often.

Attachments

• P1010600 (2020_01_14 17_13_13 UTC).JPG
    P1010600 (2020_01_14 17_13_13 UTC).JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • P1010606 (2020_01_14 17_13_13 UTC).JPG
    P1010606 (2020_01_14 17_13_13 UTC).JPG
  • P1010617 (2020_01_14 17_13_13 UTC).JPG
    P1010617 (2020_01_14 17_13_13 UTC).JPG
Not the current one, but my first two circa 89~94, lots. And they had the usual rust from using them as daily drivers. My old rusty 71 Cougar saw year round duty for several winters until it got rear ended by a teenage girl.

1668865149514.jpeg

I did, last year towing the dragn hydro to The Boise Roadster Show. Someone caught both the car and the dragbost going through an intersection in the snow, and mailed it to me.
Spike. Can you share pictures of your hitch? I am curious on its design and attachment points.

Driving the Mustang in the snow. Hmmmmm. Not since my parents used it as a daily driver and the last time was in 1976. I would never do it now. RI loves salting everything big time.

Ron

Cool pic Spike! Ah the old days when the hot rod was the daily driver / work in progress. I drove my '68 GTO in the snow for several winters beginning in 1980. One time I was stuck so badly that I pulled out in fourth gear and it actually worked. Had a bag of Sacrete from my dad's shed in the trunk over the rear axle. By late spring when I took it out, it had become like a rock!

Spike. Can you share pictures of your hitch? I am curious on its design and attachment points.
Not to hijack your post, but I have pictures of the hitch Ford installed on my vehicle when I bought it in 1972 if you want them. Email Scott65542@gmail

I once rolled our 1969 Shelby GT500 out onto our snow covered driveway for some Winter photos. But we do not drive our pony cars onto the roads unless the roads are both dry, and we have had at least two heavy rains that flushed the salt residue off the road surfaces. Our vintage pony cars do not have any rust, and we want to keep it that way. Our 2020 Shelby GT500 has never tasted anything other than a dry road since we purchased it brand new. When the roads are wet, snowy, or icy we only drive either of our undercoated, newer SUVs (2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo 2.0, and 2021 Lexus RX450h Hybrid. We tend to keep our newer SUVs for 4 - 8 years, then trade them in for new vehicles. For the pony cars our intent is to keep them and pass them down when our time on this planet had ended. Meanwhile, while in our care they get the very best treatment, and absolutely correct/best level of parts and work available (most work is done by us). We have far too much invested in these fine vehicles to do anything but protect them the best we can from the ravages of time and the elements.

Attachments

• AllPonyCarsAndGilWithLynda_4of4_20211007.JPG
    AllPonyCarsAndGilWithLynda_4of4_20211007.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 0
In the late 70's/ early 80's, I drove a '72 Mach 1 I had in the snow. Two situations come to mind. We had a heavy snow and I left home for work. Got about a block and was stuck hard. Got out to see why I couldn't move and found my front spoiler had acted like a snow plow and I had a snow berm in front of the car. Another time I went into the mountains to get a Christmas tree. Found an 8' tree I liked, and got it stuffed into the car with the fold down seat down, hatch to the trunk open, and the top of the tree between the front seats. Back then, they were daily drivers.

well my rust free '72 came from Ohio, near Cleveland so maybe she never saw snow (except when I picked her up on Feb 4 in 4 degree weather) so why start now!!! No, no snow for me, I live in the mountains and the roads are a bit scary with snow/ice even for my modern DDs.

I was just about to enjoy a nice Sunday morning breakfast in my warm kitchen. Then I read this snow post. So out I go to the garage in my slippers and PJ's, open the garage door, 18 degrees in Erie, PA right now. Push the Stang several feet for the photos. Wow, what we forum members do for each other!!!

Attachments

• 20221120_104202.jpg
    20221120_104202.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 20221120_104105.jpg
    20221120_104105.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 20221120_104133.jpg
    20221120_104133.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
I drove my 73 Mach in snow a lot as it was my only car and my daily driver in Chicago. Here is a picture of it with my winter tires on it. The 60 series BF Goodrich Belted T/As were horrible in the snow. For winter I switched to narrower white walls in the front and snow tires in the back.

It still wasn't awesome in the snow though. On any incline it would not move from a dead stop if there was snow or ice. I was known to stand up out of the car and push from the door jamb to get it going from a stop and then jump in and drive away.

73 Mach 1 5.jpg

I was just about to enjoy a nice Sunday morning breakfast in my warm kitchen. Then I read this snow post. So out I go to the garage in my slippers and PJ's, open the garage door, 18 degrees in Erie, PA right now. Push the Stang several feet for the photos. Wow, what we forum members do for each other!!!
I hear ya. It's 20 degrees out right now at 10 in the morning here in Idaho. Halloween was 71 degrees, then two days later, boom, a freak light dusting of snow, which didn't stick and just got everything wet. Since then , we completely by-passed Fall and went directly into very cold days of Winter. The snow is coming. Once it snows, the Mustang gets cocooned, although I have driven it in the snow here, it's only when I get caught in it.

I hear ya. It's 20 degrees out right now at 10 in the morning here in Idaho. Halloween was 71 degrees, then two days later, boom, a freak light dusting of snow, which didn't stick and just got everything wet. Since then , we completely by-passed Fall and went directly into very cold days of Winter. The snow is coming. Once it snows, the Mustang gets cocooned, although I have driven it in the snow here, it's only when I get caught in it.
Do you miss San Diego ?

Yes indeed. Back between 1980-84, I had two 72 mach1's. The Q code was never winter driven, but the H code I bought for spares, found it to be too good for that, fixed it up and drove it as my winter beater. Even with 100 lbs of sandbags over the axle, it was a scary thing to handle, but could be fun at times.
Here's a pic. Notice the "snow tires". (the 73 stripes were given to me, so I used them, what the heck eh!)
My mother worked at the local hospital (downhill from our house) on third shift. My Dad put the typical 70s era chunky snow tires on the back. Mom always made it home. Although at times with great difficulty. Let's face it our cars suck in the snow. She was always was and still is a talented driver.

Ron

My mother worked at the local hospital (downhill from our house) on third shift. My Dad put the typical 70s era chunky snow tires on the back. Mom always made it home. Although at times with great difficulty. Let's face it our cars suck in the snow. She was always was and still is a talented driver.

Ron
Those old style "snow tires" definitely had some bite and a good job too. Without them, most cars were going nowhere especially with cross ply polyglass tires.
I forgot to mention that I had a 71 302 fastback (my first car after settling in Canada) that I drove all year round and yes, I did have "snow tires" for that one too.

Fun story of Mustangs and snow.

Circa 1990 I was working for a Papa Gino's "pizza" place here in CT. I use quotes because it could barely be considered pizza, having grown up on New Haven style pizza, considered by many to be the best. Anyway, the 90/91 winter was a fairly snowy one and we had a lot of delivery orders. I was asked by the manager if I wanted to deliver, which I had no issues with. To be honest, I love driving in the snow. So, the rusty 'ol '71 sportsroof got the silly sign on the roof and was delivering pizza all over the city. I was the only driver that didn't have issues getting around, thanks to the studded bias ply snows. I think I had one Sears and one BFG on the back. I did really, really well with tips. Multiple times I got the "your out delivering pizza in that?" comment and was handed a fat tip.

Back