Excess lamps in dash on '71 Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManniB

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
Hi,

after completely reassembling my dash, I have two lamp sockets for which I have no idea where they go.

ExcessLamps.jpg

I have checked all switches and each of them has got a bulb/socket already. From the reach of the cable, they don't not belong into the console, and the console already has it's bulbs.

Does anyone have an idea where they should go? Is it possible that they belong to an optional piece of equipment I don't have? I'm not sure whether the bulbs were in the sockets when I disassembled the dash.

Thank you, Manfred

Clock maybe ?
Hi Nance,

unfortunately, not. My clock is in the center console and the reach of the cable would be to short. The clock already has it's own small wiring harness providing two bulbs and plugs into the main harness. And it is in place in my car.

Thanks for the guess, Manfred

check your switches under the steering wheel it looks like the bulbs for the cig lighter and the windshield wiper switch

it cannot be a center console light that is on a separate harness.

and it cannot be for the center gauges because those are also on a separate harness

According to the repair manual wiring schematics, light blue with red stripe is console clock lighting. The harness should also have a plug for clock power (peel back the electrical tape and see if it's been cut from yours). It's just long enough to reach the clock.

The 72 schematic also shows a double light harness to the center gauge pack (temp,alt,oil). This was also light blue with red stripe.

Good Luck... Rick.

wiring.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I just re-checked that all bulbs are there. The center console was a good idea, unfortunately it is there inluding the clock power connector.

I have ckecked the following bulbs:

Wiper switch

Headlight switch

Cigaret Lighter

Heating switch panel in center console

the three instruments in the center console (oil, temp, ...)

Clock in center console

courtesy lights

As far as I know, the main instrument panel (tach & speedo) has only bulbs that are plugged into the circuit board (no additional bulbs with wires). Right?

To my knowledge that is all there is, but I still have the two excess bulbs. I will probably stow them away until I find out one day what they are for.

Thank you & regards, Manfred

Last edited by a moderator:
Back