Exhaust advice

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang Convertible
Hello! My next step for my 1972 is the exhaust system. I Installed a header from Summit and cutoff the rusted stock dual system with dual mufflers.

I need advice on a good dual system that will not break my bank account. Should I go with stainless or just aluminum??? I really don't want the car to be too loud, I like the deep muscle car tone just nothing excessive. I want to be able to listen to my tunes like The Cars, Boston, Beach Boys and Depeche Mode Etc!!!

I see systems anywhere from $249 and up. I will get a local muffler shop to install. Would you suggest the muffler shop to install a OEM style system or would you suggest having them fabricate a system in the shop?[/align] I apologize, I am not much of a welder or exhaust guy!

Try checking with Don of OMS.

I bought an exhaust system from him.

Very happy with it.

It is an H-pipe system patterned after the Boss351 exhaust.

P4070302.JPG

[video=youtube]

mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree: factory-style "H"- pipe along with some nice turbo-mufflers would be the easiest and least expensive choice.

If possible, buy a ready-made pre-bent system from one of the Mustang vendors...it will fit nice and look great.

Custom exhaust-bending and fabrication is nice, but there are not as many guys around that can do it anymore. And when you do find a shop, as well as a guy that is good at it...it tends to be expensive.

The thing to remember is; if you want a factory-appearing exhaust system just use a pre-made system...it will fit perfectly. No custom-bent system will fit that well for the same price.

If you find a ship that still has the capability of using a "Huth" system with bend-cards, they can custom-bend a system that will fit factory-close. Not many places around anymore that has the equipment or know-how to do that system though.

A step-up would be to use "Flowmaster" mufflers. They have a very popular, nice and throaty tone. A little more expensive though, and not really any real performance advantage...but they have that sound!

Glass-pack mufflers(Cherry Bombs!) are back! They are straight-thru mufflers with fiberglass matting in thier outside chambers...gives an aggresive, throaty and a little raspy sound. Very "vintage" and they give the exact classic "muscle car" sound that was popular back in the day. They are also cheaper and don't last as long.

Galvanized is the cheapest pipe you'll find, but most places don't even use it anymore...it won't last for shit if you drive the car regularly.

Aluminized pipe is slightly better, and is about the cheapest you are likely to find in use at most muffler shops.

Pre-bent stainless steel us best, lasts almost forever...but is expensive.

"Mandrel bent" is the buzz-word that sells exhaust components. It means the bends are put into the pipes in such a way that the pipe stays the same diameter through the bends, as opposed to a normal pipe bender that causes some diameter-reduction of the pipe as it is bent.

For all-out performance, mandrel-bent is obviously the best but on a typical street-driven car of mild to average performance a true mandrel-bent system will not provide any real performance advantage.

After much research on here and forum exchanges I decided on:

Hooker Competition headers and collectors; Pypes 2.5" stainless steel Street Pro w/X-pipes exhaust system with Violator mufflers; 3.5" MBRP dual wall polished stainless steel tips. It is a little bit more expensive but should last almost forever and it really gives me the sound I was looking for. It's not real loud which is very important in a 'vert but yet gives me that muscle car sound when I step on it. The pieces all fit together really well. I only needed one slight bend where you connect it at the collectors. I did have a shop put it in since I didn't have the exact tools. They were so impressed with the fit and sound compared to other systems they deal with that they are going to start recommending it. Maybe not for everyone but wanted to share.

Exhaust system 1.jpg

Exhaust tip.jpg

Should sound great! Just remember, a "X" pipe has a sound all its own...and it sounds awesome. But it sounds different than an "H" pipe system. The X pipe wont sound "authentic" 70s, but if you dont care about that you'll love it!

I run Flowmaster 40-series mufflers that used to be on my 5.0 Mustang via 2.5" pipe, H-pipe, and of course, duals. Sounds pretty awesome. It's pretty loud, but it's just the right level. Expect to pay around $300 to $500 if you find a good shop that can do a good quality system using aluminized steel (that stuff lasts forever, but go stainless by all means, if you've got the cash). I've always had to run custom exhaust, never even thought about buying a pre-fit kit.

I bought this

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/hok-6915hkr/overview/

and this

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-680111

and paired it with a new pair of Flowmaster American Thunder Mufflers 2,5". It fits except for the staggered shocks for which we had to do a little fixing. The Turbo Mufflers of the summit set also didn't fit because the have no centered outlet als pictured but left inlet and right outlet wich is too much width for the staggered shocks!

This is the result (recorded with my Samsung SII and it was unfortunately very downsized for upload):

http://www.vidup.de/v/nuRcT/

If someone is interested I could send a better file directly per e-mail...

Tim

I run a full stainless mandrel magnaflow x pipe system. It sounds awesome, the sound to my mind is a very late model sound not the wicked sound of the 70s. With the magnaflows the sound sits what seems like a foot behind the car so you can hold a regular conversation inside with out having to yell. X pipes sound mean if you want to sound authentic 70s go H pipe

Last edited by a moderator:
I run headers, dual exhaust and big glass packs. I love the sound since it is 'different' than most other cars on the street. I had an H pipe in but had to cut it out when I had to modify the exhaust for the GV OD unit. I have some temporary fix it pipes in place now. It is a little louder at idle without the H pipe and not as 'smooth'. When I take it in to get the exahaust put in correct I will have them put the H pipe back in. I should take video of it now and after.

I tend to vote for the take it to a local shop. But I am lucky, here in Phoenix we have a lot to choose from. I have been going to the same shop for about 20 years and the same guys work there and they are all old (and ignore the no smoking ban, lol). My first exhaust I bought the prefabbed pieces but they didn't account for my aftermarket stuff like my rear sway bar. I just couldn't get it to fit right. A muffler shop will be able to do it right.

Back