Experts for Mustangs as well

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 dark green
When I was into AMC cars I quite often ran into some "experts" at shows that knew more then I.  Like the AMC 390 really was a Ford engine, not AMC no matter how hard you tired to convince them.    Today I took my '72 out for a carb break in (along with the new steering wheel).  Stopped at a gas station and a couple of men, 55-60ish were sitting their drinking their lunch (GA mountains, what can I say).  One asked if it was a 428 or 429.  I said no, 351 and he corrected me because a Mach 1 had to be a big block engine.   I love running into experts, now I have a bigger engine lol.

steering wheel 019.JPG

You should have agreed with the older gentlemen, by saying it is a 428, but you disabled 3 cylinders, making it a 351.

Not sure I can agree with you....

LOL, most do not realize the Mach 1 option was appearance not performance. A 302 2-V does not do much. 

Base Mach 1 engine in 1971 was the 351 "H code" 240HP

Base Mach 1 engine in 1972 and 1972 was the 302 "F code" 140HP

Base Mustang engine for all 3 years is the 250 "L code" straight 6 with a whopping 99HP, so technically it was a modest performance option, you cold not get the Mach 1 package with the six.

Graham Man, you got close. The base engine for all 71-73 Mach 1s was the F code 302 2bl. The  250 6cyl was standard in all other models except the '71 Boss 351. Yeah, the horsepower ratings sound funny  when compared to what is on the road now. I have a 2018 F150 with the 5.0 engine rated at 395 HP. Nothing I had from the 70s or 80's that was stock was close to that!

When I was into AMC cars I quite often ran into some "experts" at shows that knew more then I.  
Jscott,

How cool that you have some knowledge of the AMC engine. I build engines for a living. I've done many, many AMCs over the years, although I personally, have not owned one. However, the 390/401 engines produced by AMC were/are some powerful, rugged engines. Those two engines had forged rods, as opposed to cast in the smaller engines, forged steel cranks, substantially strong main bearing caps, and the "dogleg" exhaust port heads really breath. To my knowledge, the performance 4-speed cars for AMC, ( AMX, Javelin, SCRambler, etc.) , were equiped with T-10 Borg-Warner boxes, which are pretty tough. Most performance AMCs were optioned with their version of limited slip diffs. I think they just arrived too late to the party to be as mainstream as Mustangs, Camaros, Firebirds, Cudas, etc.

Drag racer Shirley Shahan kicked arse and took names with her red/white/blue AMX back around '68-'69. Truth be told, I'd own one in a heartbeat, should the opportunity ever present itself!

Oh, and yes, the cock-and-bull self proclaimed "experts" unfortunately roam the earth and show up at car events. Forgive them.....for they know not what they do.

0ee70163e29bae5db9d4be0d088a4c1c.jpg

179721841350155436o1QdhiVOc.jpg

Drag-On Lady 3.jpg Go Baby, Go!

Last edited by a moderator:
Over the years, we hear that about many engines, I don't personally have the proof, but I'm sure the factory engineers from then know what's what. Oh, here's a newspaper clipping showing "Drag-On-Lady's" engine. The cross-ram intake was cast by Edelbrock, carried a factory part number, to make it legal, as were some other components used.  I've kept the info on adding the extra head bolt bosses to the heads and drilling the blocks to match, to contain the 13.5:1 compression, which was a popular mod to these engines. I currently have two 401s, and a 360 in the shop for building as we speak.

Drag-On Lady 5 engine.jpg

AMC had built some great performance vehicles, but their offerings were always overshadowed by the performance vehicles the Big Three was building and putting on the street. As Spike posted, they just arrived a little too late to be considered a threat to the Torinos, Mustangs, Chevelles, Camaros, Cudas, Roadrunners, Chargers, etc that were ruling the streets. Everyone I knew had a hard time believing that a company that built the Ramblers your Grandfather drove could be the same company that builds such cars as the AMX/Javelins, SC/Rambler, The Machine, etc.

If you are old enough to remember the Javelin or are an Alabama resident from the '70s, this was another 1st for AMC and Alabama. The '71-72 401 Javelin State Trooper Car! I rode in one of those cars in '72. When I was en-route from Ga to Biloxi, Mississippi, our Military truck broke down on I-65 in Alabama. The Trooper stopped to see if he could assist us. (It's 1972...No cell phones) The Trooper ended up taking me to a diesel repair shop for help. I sure enjoyed riding in a police car uncuffed!  :classic_smile:

Javelin.jpg

When I was into AMC cars I quite often ran into some "experts" at shows that knew more then I.  Like the AMC 390 really was a Ford engine, not AMC no matter how hard you tired to convince them.    Today I took my '72 out for a carb break in (along with the new steering wheel).  Stopped at a gas station and a couple of men, 55-60ish were sitting their drinking their lunch (GA mountains, what can I say).  One asked if it was a 428 or 429.  I said no, 351 and he corrected me because a Mach 1 had to be a big block engine.   I love running into experts, now I have a bigger engine lol.

View attachment 45744
When I first picked up my 79 corvette 12 years ago, I started looking for a small block to build a mild stroker (had a  383 in mind back then) - Anything better than the anemic low-compression 195 HP base motor it had from GM. I called a guy with several blocks and other parts to see what he had.

This guy was adamant that the 79 corvette was a factory-produced 500 HP beast. No amount of discussion could convince him that the only C3 that legitimately had that kind of blasting powder under the hood out of the factory was an L88 (very rare & valuable if you can find one). BTW, max HP in a factory 79 vette was 205. 

Needless to say, I passed on his parts...

Back