Factory A/C System

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lancelot72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 hardtop 351c
Hey Guys,

New around here.  I have a newly acquired 72 with a 351C and a factory AC.  The compressor and brackets are in a box in the trunk and the AC hoses have been cut off.  The previous owner said the hoses were missing when he bought the car a couple years earlier. Therefore I don't know the condition of the system.   I Live in south Texas and with our grueling summers I am considering upgrading to a classic auto air system instead of trying to restore the factory A/C.  I'm not a purest.  I just want an enjoyable car for me and my wife.  I am assuming that some of you out there would be interested in the factory system.  I haven't pulled anything out of it yet just trying to make plans.  Please let me know of any interest and I would appreciate advice on what it is worth.  The odometer reads 07000 miles and I am assuming the odometer has been rolled twice but it was garage kept with no rust in the floor pans or wheel wells. over all it appears to have been taken care of and is very clean.

Any advice is appreciated.  Thanks.

I have a couple cars with factory air. There are lots of things that have to change if you put AC on a non AC car especially using a stock system. 

I needed a compressor this year and a member gave me one and I paid shipping. The condenser and evaporator would need to be cleaned flushed and checked to see if ok. Of course the dryer would be replaced. 

The factory systems work fine if done right but gets expensive repairing one. I switched mine over to DuraCool refrigerant which is much better the Freon or it's replacement. 

I am sure some on here have installed an aftermarket system.

Try CJPONYPARTS, they have a lot of options that you can shop on one site to get an idea of what type of AC you want. Mine is a factory AC car also but I have nothing but the bracket. I am far from doing the AC, though I have looked for cost purposes.

My 73 Mach 1 is an original A/C car that had the under hood stuff removed by the PO. I have installed an Old Air Products A/C combined with a Vintage Air Front Runner accessory drive. It works great. I am outside Boerne, between Bergheim and Kendalia, and would be happy to meet up with you and let you see the system perform.

Mine is a factory air car but with RHD conversion was out of the question to retain the original beat up system

I went with Old Air Products Hurricane system and despite a few mods for the RHD set up it was a pretty good fit

I wanted to retain the factory A/C controls which was easy as they provide a conversion kit to use it

The only downfall with this system is you need to block off the fresh air vents and demist only works when compressor off which is not a big problem for me

I have a couple cars with factory air. There are lots of things that have to change if you put AC on a non AC car especially using a stock system. 

I needed a compressor this year and a member gave me one and I paid shipping. The condenser and evaporator would need to be cleaned flushed and checked to see if ok. Of course the dryer would be replaced. 

The factory systems work fine if done right but gets expensive repairing one. I switched mine over to DuraCool refrigerant which is much better the Freon or it's replacement. 

How can I buy dura cool in CA?

How can I buy dura cool in CA?
Here is link to their web site. It looks like it is legal not but some of their other refrigerants are  not. http://www.duracool.com/Duracool/refrigerants.html

I ordered their lube and refrigerant and put in my 73 vert. I did develop a leak and vacuumed the system and put some regular refrigerant with stop leak and will take that out and go back with DuraCool for next summer. I never could find the leak with black light so I suspect under the dash.

Back