Factory hole in side of head

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crestline

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang convertible
New member, first post- sorry if this seems like a dumb question..
1973 Mustang, 351c 2 barrel- As I was cleaning the intake to reinstall the carb, i noticed a pinky sized factory hole in the middle of the drivers side head partially blocked by the intake. I assume that this was for smog related equipment and the original plug has rotted away? is there a plug that i can install without removing the intake? Does this hole/ channel connect to the exhaust valves in any way? worried that dirt or crud may have made its way into the hole...
Ill try to post a pic later if my description isn't clear
I've done several searches and looked through posts in the General Discussion with no luck, so i apologize if this has been covered before and i missed it.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG-8575[1451].jpg
    IMG-8575[1451].jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 43
That is just a blind hole on the head, it does not go anywhere. Underneath that hole is where the exhaust gas goes into the intake manifold. You do not need to block it and it was never blocked by the factory. All Cleveland heads have that hole.

My pure speculation it was there to locate the head to a fixture so machine work could be done. Again pure speculation. Chuck

That is just a blind hole on the head, it does not go anywhere. Underneath that hole is where the exhaust gas goes into the intake manifold. You do not need to block it and it was never blocked by the factory. All Cleveland heads have that hole.
Thank you for the response- i was a little worried since i found 2 acorns and a kernel of corn in it....

Actually twice I have discovered that "hole" is a secret spot for hiding a dropped screw or nut. It goes in then hides under the lip as you go crazy trying to find the part. Then, getting out a mirror, you find it under the lip of that "hole" as the hole is laughing at you while you dip in your magnetic pickup to retrieve the hidden item:oops::oops:.

You learn that this is a blind hole but only after panicking thinking you dropped said part into the engine block.

Actually twice I have discovered that "hole" is a secret spot for hiding a dropped screw or nut. It goes in then hides under the lip as you go crazy trying to find the part. Then, getting out a mirror, you find it under the lip of that "hole" as the hole is laughing at you while you dip in your magnetic pickup to retrieve the hidden item:oops::oops:.

You learn that this is a blind hole but only after panicking thinking you dropped said part into the engine block.
i didn't sleep real well after i saw the acorn and corn kernel wondering about the passage and how many kernels were on their way to the valves. i wasn't getting a good feeling about corn power....

I need problems with the top of my engine like I need a hole in my head.

Last edited:
When I first saw the thread topic, I couldn't help but think of responding, "Those would be called 'Ears.'"

But then I learned you were talking about them being on the engine. LOL!

Back