factory production line pics

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a production line pic, but a pretty cool shot here from the 1973 Chicago Auto Show:

HH3y9.jpg
Hey, isn't that my 'vert on the right? :cool:

Doc
Not unless it is wearing grande' badges
Dang, where's my glasses?

Geez, I gotta go to the eye doctor ASAP. Just 'cause it's blue doesn't make it a 'vert. Looks like a red 'vert on the left, though, right? :p

In the music video for Aretha Franklin's song "Freeway of Love" you will see rail cars delivering 71 or 72 Mach I Mustangs.

Not super clear but it is during the last 6-8 seconds of the video. You will recognize one of the assembly line pics posted above from same music video. Notice other factory footage (Ford and GM) from 70's and 80's. I noticed an 80-82 Fox platform T-bird, showing the pass rear side window area --- among others. How many different cars can you spot? Some are tough to see! Enjoy! - Ray

Great assembly line video of 71/73's at 16 seconds. The 71/73's on the rail car at the end of the video are hard to make out, but they are "our" Mustangs. I wonder where they found the original video to make the music video.

Thanks for posting Ray!

Doc

Geez, I gotta go to the eye doctor ASAP. Just 'cause it's blue doesn't make it a 'vert. Looks like a red 'vert on the left, though, right? :p
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NO thats a 1/2 top job

I have been looking for someone with photos from the Las Vegas Convention Center, 1971 Introductory Auto Show. It was held sometime around August or September of 1970. My 71 Boss 302 was actually shipped from Dearborn directly to the LVCC, according to the Emminger Invoice. I believe there were several other cars shipped there at the same time, ie: Diamonds Are Forever Mustangs (see the notes on Lois Emminger's list of the first 100 Mustangs for 1971:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/234286/thread/1219631751/Diamonds+are+Forever+Car+on+Ebay

Actually, I would like to see any and all photos people might have from any of the Auto Shows and the Assembly Lines....the ones posted so far have been fantastic to see. Thanks to those posters !!

Last edited by a moderator:

Doc

the vert that 's on the left behind the station wagon is a bug.....

71BossPrototype & forum,

I understood the Boss 351 was introduced in Nov '70 at the Detroit Auto Show.

Do you or anyone have pics or info on this. Was your car used for this show also - maybe where they changed the 71 Boss 302 logos to Boss 351?

And I thought Mr Jeff Speagle (MCA Judge) had an original

press packet for this show. If anyone knows him, maybe he could post info?

Thanks! Ray

Hi Ray. Here's a link to a Ford publicity photo that shows the altered lettering on the trunk.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/attachment.php?aid=7207

After cancellation of the Boss 302, it is believed that my car was later used as a Boss 351 promo due to the altered lettering that is still evident on the decklid. Here's the a thread with more info and photos of the 71 Boss 302:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-the-lost-1971-302-boss

If you look at those Emminger notes I gave the link to above, she shows the cars being shipped to the Las Vegas Convention Center, the first day or two of production, in August of 1970. That show was not the same as the one that introduced the Boss 351, which I also believe was in November. Check out those links, they are pretty interesting. That would be great if Jeff Speagle could post photos from the press packet. Thanks for the info !

-Andy

I would agree to wear those pants too, if they would have left the Boss 302 motor under the hood ! LOL !! :)

By the way, Donald Farr included the story about my car on pages 80 and 81 of his new Boss 302 book.

This looks like the best thread for old assembly line pics.

While this one is not a Mustang it does list pic as taken in 1971 Lorain, Ohio

Ray

Ford 1971 Lorain Michigan assy plant.jpg

Those pictures are fantastic. I hope there are more out there. Thank you for posting them. The Boss tail light panel does appear a bit wavy.

Ron

Those pictures are fantastic. I hope there are more out there. Thank you for posting them. The Boss tail light panel does appear a bit wavy.

Ron
Ron - I hope there are more too. And if anyone finds some - post them here!!!!

Ray

In the music video for Aretha Franklin's song "Freeway of Love" you will see rail cars delivering 71 or 72 Mach I Mustangs.

Not super clear but it is during the last 6-8 seconds of the video. You will recognize one of the assembly line pics posted above from same music video. Notice other factory footage (Ford and GM) from 70's and 80's. I noticed an 80-82 Fox platform T-bird, showing the pass rear side window area --- among others. How many different cars can you spot? Some are tough to see! Enjoy! - Ray

My God! I almost forgot about the shot of our cars in this video. I remember watching this on MTV when they used to play music videos.

I believe there were several other cars shipped there at the same time, ie: Diamonds Are Forever Mustangs...
FYI - in the effort to stop the rumor mill about the DAF cars whenever possible:

The two 429 cars in that list that are unfortunately now associated with Diamonds are Forever due to manipulated research (see Eminger's own notes along with the commentary of the former owner of the Ian Fleming car) are, in reality, a Las Vegas Convention Center show car and a press loan from Ford to a Peco Rivera.

The lot of 6 DAF cars were purchased nearly 4 months later, in the last month of March. The 429 car was purchased about a week later.

I have been asked not to disclose the source of this information yet, but - suffice it to say - this information comes from the top.

-Kurt

I believe there were several other cars shipped there at the same time, ie: Diamonds Are Forever Mustangs...
FYI - in the effort to stop the rumor mill about the DAF cars whenever possible:

The two 429 cars in that list that are unfortunately now associated with Diamonds are Forever due to manipulated research (see Eminger's own notes along with the commentary of the former owner of the Ian Fleming car) are, in reality, a Las Vegas Convention Center show car and a press loan from Ford to a Peco Rivera.

The lot of 6 DAF cars were purchased nearly 4 months later, in the last month of March. The 429 car was purchased about a week later.

I have been asked not to disclose the source of this information yet, but - suffice it to say - this information comes from the top.

-Kurt
You heard the voice of God?

-Kurt
Get the Waterboard out...we will make him talk! It was the DAF movie that made me fall in love with the car. However, I never knew at the time that they used a couple of 429 cars. By the time I ordered my car in 72 the 429 was gone.

If God makes a mean-looking Cougar convertible conversion...

Get the Waterboard out...we will make him talk! It was the DAF movie that made me fall in love with the car. However, I never knew at the time that they used a couple of 429 cars. By the time I ordered my car in 72 the 429 was gone.
Despite what you may have heard, the sales indicate that only one 429 was purchased late in the game. Three M-codes and two H-codes made up the original fleet, provided by Ford to Eon Productions/Danjaq over the final week of March 1971.

One of those M-codes went on to become the Tournament of Thrills stunt car after the film; this is the example that resides in the Dezer Collection.

-Kurt

Kurt,

I had always heard over the years (from several different sources) that the initial batch of cars was used for all the driving scenes, including the initial attempt at the 2-wheel 'ski" scene down the alley and that the driver (Buzz Bundy? Bumps Willard?) had no ( or little)troubles doing it on the passeger wheels in the small block car(s).

Some time later, due to the director needing fresh footage of the car leaving the alley that portion of the stunt was set up for reshoots.

The original American stunt team (Joie Chitwood's?) was not available so the only other person that could do the stunt at the time was a french stunt driver, who was brought in for that particular stunt.

He had much trouble trying to replicate the stunt and rolled/damaged some or all of the small block cars attempting to do it.

Apparently he felt that the small blocks did not have the low-end power he needed to perform the stunt so a 429 car was quickly sourced for that one scene. Also, he could only do the stunt on the driver-side wheels...leading to the outrageous blooper we all know about.

So...is that accurate? How close is it to the truth.

Also, I find it odd that no decent amount of raw footage of the stunt has surfaced to date. I have never seen any of the failed attempts at the stunt, although there is plenty of raw footage of many other James Bond stunts available.

Not a production line pic, but a pretty cool shot here from the 1973 Chicago Auto Show:

HH3y9.jpg
Choices, Choices, and my parents picked the turd brown 1973 Country Squire wagon in the background!

Back