False add scams

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg

Reaction score
My Car
I have a 71 Mach 1 grabber blue and white, a 73 Mach 1 Copper and White with power sunroof and a 73 Convertible all loaded
When looking for cars for sale you will see our members here selling their cars for a great price. The problem is our members didn't post the for sale add and you're supposed to send money to some unknown person. Anyone recognize these members cars as examples? https://cars.oodle.com/detail/1972-...ght-lime-automatic/6254339377-minneapolis-mn/. How about this car? https://www.listedbuy.com/cars/clas...-1971-ford-mustang-mach1?utm_source=OodleCars. Most of you know, but do your due diligence and request custom pictures etc.

Last edited:
The amount of scam sales on the internet is incredible. Three sites which are rife with them are cars.trovit.com, cars.oodle.com, and smartmotorguide.com. You can probably buy a 100% restored Boss 351 for $25K on any of those sites... Here is a good example:
https://www.smartmotorguide.com/L49137772

My actual car got posted to one of these type of sites a couple of years ago. The old Hemmings listing I purchased the car from was posted to a different site with a stupid low price. They were willing to sell me a car I already owned. I filed a complaint with the FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center and it took a while, but that site is now gone.

https://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

It is not possible for me to describe how much I detest, even hate scammers. I have a close friend who got scammed out of $45k for a 69 R Code Mach 1 428 CJ he thought he was going to get a few years ago. My suggestion is to listen to your instincts, if t sounds too good to be true it likely is. If you still want to move forward select an escrow company of YOUR choice to hold funds until you get the car with a clean title and proper bill of sale. Personally, I would not do anything until I saw the vehicle for myself. For our 1969 Shelby GT500 I flew a Shelby consultant from Florida to Ottawa, Canada, to validate and inspect the vehicle before I bothered taking the time to see it for myself. I got back a really nice report, and literally hundreds of photos. We lined up the cash for a wire transfer to happen after we saw the car ourselves. The transaction was done perfectly, we could not be happier. It cost us a few extra thousand $, but the peace of mind was well worth it.

Be aware, when my friend reported the scam to LAPD and FBI, he was told they would take the report but not to expect much as it involved less than $100,000 - therefore not deemed a priority.

As for what ought to happen to scammers when they do get caught, I think a few small bullets into the skull might be a bit much, but I get why some folks fee that is appropriate. I, for one, do not feel Karma can be left to handle the problem. But those weasels are so hard to ferret out sometimes.

Attachments

• >>>FRONTLEFTSIDEVIEW -1969-Shelby-GT500-copy.jpg
    >>>FRONTLEFTSIDEVIEW -1969-Shelby-GT500-copy.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5621_LokeesFrontEnd.jpg
    IMG_5621_LokeesFrontEnd.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
  • UnderHoodDriverSideFirewall_WiringHarness_IMG_4395_202004423.JPG
    UnderHoodDriverSideFirewall_WiringHarness_IMG_4395_202004423.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
Also in the past I put an add in Hemmings looking for a rare OEM sunroof for a Lincoln. You will get calls from scammers that have your actual part. Talk to them enough and ask trick questions and you can usually find out they are a fraud. Beware as they see you putting an add to send them money.

It is not possible for me to describe how much I detest, even hate scammers. I have a close friend who got scammed out of $45k for a 69 R Code Mach 1 428 CJ he thought he was going to get a few years ago. My suggestion is to listen to your instincts, if t sounds too good to be true it likely is. If you still want to move forward select an escrow company of YOUR choice to hold funds until you get the car with a clean title and proper bill of sale. Personally, I would not do anything until I saw the vehicle for myself. For our 1969 Shelby GT500 I flew a Shelby consultant from Florida to Ottawa, Canada, to validate and inspect the vehicle before I bothered taking the time to see it for myself. I got back a really nice report, and literally hundreds of photos. We lined up the cash for a wire transfer to happen after we saw the car ourselves. The transaction was done perfectly, we could not be happier. It cost us a few extra thousand $, but the peace of mind was well worth it.

Be aware, when my friend reported the scam to LAPD and FBI, he was told they would take the report but not to expect much as it involved less than $100,000 - therefore not deemed a priority.

As for what ought to happen to scammers when they do get caught, I think a few small bullets into the skull might be a bit much, but I get why some folks fee that is appropriate. I, for one, do not feel Karma can be left to handle the problem. But those weasels are so hard to ferret out sometimes.
I agree. Seems crime has run amok lately.. Sincerity, honesty and truth have gone out the window and the only priority is money.. I have many times wished I had the know how on where these turkeys are working from, dig them out and use their demise as an example.. As America dumbs down, more and more, the scammers and con artists raise their ugly head and prey upon them.. The Government is useless, so perhaps it's time for some independent entity to take the lead.. Just sayin.

Back