Feedback needed - Trailer loading winch

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse)
67 GT S-Code 4sp
I need to move around some non-operating cars over the next few months. Looking at purchasing a winch to install in my trailer to hopefully make the task easier. I have been debating over the Harbor Freight 5k or 9k winch. These cars will be rollers so that will help with the load. Anyone else have a winch for loading your trailer and at what capacity? Recommendations from your experience would be appreciated.

If you also move car ONTO ramps for a lift in a garage , you may want to consider the 110AC portable cable winch. While my trailers have winches - I find having one I can strap to a lift or fixed object (to pull the other way) comes in handy when alone!

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200455486_200455486?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Winches%20%3E%20AC%20Powered%20Winches&utm_campaign=WARN&utm_content=147026&gclid=CjwKCAjw68zZBRAnEiwACw0eYYfUVue1p36Za8mZKVHKztaVtx9g6e4itsZ1PksSl6AyOpJtGFMD9RoCGxIQAvD_BwE

Mark

I run a 12,000lb winch on my trailer. Its a badlands winch from harbor freight. Its been on there for 4-5 years with 0 issues. I don't think 5k is enough. You get a car with the wheels locked up and need to drag it, you will wish you had the bigger winch. And for the price.... the 12k isn't too bad with a coupon. I think we had around $300 in it. The thing with the smaller winches is that the duty cycle on them isn't that great and they will get hot on a long pull. It takes a while to winch a car all the way up a trailer. That's why I went with the larger winch, your not working it nearly as hard. We run a lot of demolition derbys and a lot of the times you need to drag the old smashed up car all the way on the trailer and need that extra pulling force. If your cars are mostly decent roller you could probably get away with the 9k but keep an eye on how hot it gets on long pulls. I would stay away from the 2-3k winches. They are made for atv and side by sides not pulling cars. I have a 3500lb winch on my Polaris sportsman and we have a 5000lb winch on our side by side.

Heres my winch:

https://www.harborfreight.com/12000-lb-off-road-vehicle-electric-winch-with-automatic-load-holding-brake-63770.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a 8,500 lb Superwinch on a receiver plate. I have a mount in the front of the trailer to attach  to. I have all it for several years and have never had any trouble out of it.

I've had a 4500 Superwinch for about ten years. Bought it as a refurb for about $400. It's dragged all sorts of dead cars onto my trailer. Keep in mind you can double, triple or hit whatever multiplication of capacity you need with the magic of pulleys.

I've had a 4500 Superwinch for about ten years. Bought it as a refurb for about $400. It's dragged all sorts of dead cars onto my trailer. Keep in mind you can double, triple or hit whatever multiplication of capacity you need with the magic of pulleys.
+1 I agree. I use snatch blocks all the time with mine. Keep a couple in my tool box with the tie down straps.

Thank you all. Good feedback to consider.  I think I am leaning towards the 9K based on everyone's feedback.  I would like to have the flexibility to keep it portable so it could be unbolted from the trailer and slid into a receiver hitch on the truck or another fixed point to allow for expanded uses.  I will share my solution when completed.  Appreciate the help.

I think I'd go with a minimum of 8k and be ready to use one pulley. I also like the receiver hitch mount on front (and rear) of the trailer. It allows you to use it places, other than the typical front of trailer. -Definitely easier to secure winch in the garage when not in use.

Good to have at least one snatch block to help pull a crooked-loaded junk car back to center.

Youtube has many good winching videos. Good to learn and understand winching safety!!!!!!

Ray

Moving rolling weight takes a lot less power than dead weight. To move dead weight you should probably double the weight of the vehicle. It depends on how much excess capacity you want and how much you want to spend. I've used a 3500 lb. winch in my trailer for many years, to move rolling weight cars.   https://www.autow.com/winches/trailer-winches.aspx

Chuck

Ended up going with the 9K Harbor Freight winch and their receiver mount bracket.  I mounted a bumper receiver receiver mount through the floor and around the center frame support for my triple tongue.  Worked out well loading and unloading the cars on Sunday.  Duty cycle on the winch is a little low 60% but the pulls should not be to long as the trailer is 24 ft.  I will attach some pictures shortly

Last edited by a moderator:
Back