Fender Fillers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
 Good find and in Canadian dollars too. I need to replace one side and they can be bought separately. More money on the old girl. Maybe I'll buy it for her 50th Birthday in February.
Ha!  And, I thought we were the only ones who celebrate car birthdays with gifts  :cool:

Are these fender fillers for all 71-73 mustangs ? My 72Q code Mach1 never had them so I did not know they existed until now, I did think it was an unsightly gap though.

Those small plastic pieces at the upper rear of the fender Ford called a "Front Fender Filler". They were production installed until 6/1/71 on the '71 Mustang and Cougar, after that date they were no longer used. Good used ones can be a difficult find since a lot of them have deteriorated over time, and were not installed for the entire '71 production run. Part number for the right side is D1ZZ-16570-A (ID# D1ZB-16570-AA,AB,AE) Left side D1ZZ-16571-A (ID# D1ZB-16571-AA,AB,AE). As you can see there were three suffix number changes on the engineering number but the part number never changed. For some reason, Ford continued to use a similar filler at the rear of the front fender for the 72-76 T-Birds.
As knn posted, there is a repo version available now, but since the part is hawked as for the Boss 351, the price reflects such. If you are working on a concourse level car, or just absolutely have to have them, then you can dig into your piggy bank for the 255.00 + shipping. Ford felt they were not necessary since they were discontinued before the '71 model year came to a close. My early build '71 Mach 1 (9-21-70) has them, but probably won't be replaced if they ever become damaged. But at least you do now have an option for a part that wasn't available until recently.

Those small plastic pieces at the upper rear of the fender Ford called a "Front Fender Filler". They were production installed until 6/1/71 on the '71 Mustang and Cougar, after that date they were no longer used. Good used ones can be a difficult find since a lot of them have deteriorated over time, and were not installed for the entire '71 production run. Part number for the right side is D1ZZ-16570-A (ID# D1ZB-16570-AA,AB,AE) Left side D1ZZ-16571-A (ID# D1ZB-16571-AA,AB,AE). As you can see there were three suffix number changes on the engineering number but the part number never changed. For some reason, Ford continued to use a similar filler at the rear of the front fender for the 72-76 T-Birds.
As knn posted, there is a repo version available now, but since the part is hawked as for the Boss 351, the price reflects such. If you are working on a concourse level car, or just absolutely have to have them, then you can dig into your piggy bank for the 255.00 + shipping. Ford felt they were not necessary since they were discontinued before the '71 model year came to a close. My early build '71 Mach 1 (9-21-70) has them, but probably won't be replaced if they ever become damaged. But at least you do now have an option for a part that wasn't available until recently.
Thanks @secluff !  Having an early-ish '71, I always appreciate whenever anyone shares the historical significance, especially considering that after 50 years there are fewer and fewer of us that remember any of these details.  

I'm wondering if those are 3D printed?  Looking at the website, it looks like they do do 3D printing. If so how good they are is dependent on the material used. Also, where does the $255.00 come from? They show as (rounded) 115 and 102 Canadian. Going to the bottom of the page, switched to US dollars, they are 90 and 80 or 170 US. That's a rough exchange of 22%. I'm not sure what the actual exchange rate is, but I think it's a bit on the low side. Buyer beware!

Good info as always Steve, Thanks.

FWIW, the eBay versions don't looks 3D printed to me (albeit, I'm no expert here).  The poster is also claiming:

These are CONCOURS correct and absolutely identical to originals.
Fillers are molded (from un-broken Originals) using Semi-Flexible Thermo-set 2 part Polyurethane.

2021-01-20_06-34-45.png

Note: I have no relationship to the eBay poster and am NOT pimping/advocating for their product.  I'm just providing details I find for betterment of our community.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm wondering if those are 3D printed?  Looking at the website, it looks like they do do 3D printing. If so how good they are is dependent on the material used. Also, where does the $255.00 come from? They show as (rounded) 115 and 102 Canadian. Going to the bottom of the page, switched to US dollars, they are 90 and 80 or 170 US. That's a rough exchange of 22%. I'm not sure what the actual exchange rate is, but I think it's a bit on the low side. Buyer beware!

Good info as always Steve, Thanks.
They are 3D printed.  Don't know the quality of the product compared to the molded ones.  I would think since most 3D printers use either ABS or PLA filament that these would be decent.   Don't know if the would would pass for concours correct but they are an alternative to the ones on ebay.  The $255 is for the ones on ebay.   There is a Boss facebook group that got these printed.  I think it is one of their members that is doing it but I could be wrong.     

They can't be worse than the originals. I have them, they are very brittle, and you need handle them as if they are some papyrus found in Tutankhamun tomb.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
They are 3D printed.  Don't know the quality of the product compared to the molded ones.  I would think since most 3D printers use either ABS or PLA filament that these would be decent.   Don't know if the would would pass for concours correct but they are an alternative to the ones on ebay.  The $255 is for the ones on ebay.   There is a Boss facebook group that got these printed.  I think it is one of their members that is doing it but I could be wrong.     
Ah yes the ebay ad, my mistake, forgot that reference.

His term Molded would be deceiving. He took a NOS part and made a rubber mold and he is using a 2 part polyurethane which would be like some of the bushings are made. I made a few hub cap emblems by doing that. You set the original part up in a box and you place clay around it to the original parting line, where the mold separates. You pour that half of the mold then remove the clay and pour the other half of the rubber mold. You use a vacuum chamber to pull out the air bubbles. Very slow process. Something like when you do epoxy.
The other place with the 3-D printer is also very slow and should have a rougher finish.

There are two folks that had these developed.  One is 3D printed (Rick Ybarra) and the other one was molded (Robert Wilson).  Both are Boss 351 experts.  I have pair from Robert for my 71 429s, and they are identical to the original ones that I still have.  I have not seen Rick's but guessing the quality would be very good also.  They were updated as mentioned above, so can't tell you which version each of those guys developed. 

There was enough of my originals left when I restored my car in 2016/17. I reused them... I have no intention of putting the reproductions on at this stage, would be quite the hassle. I’m sure I would have investigated both and purchased one of the sets today. Saved me a few bucks lol

Back