Figuring out if my car is a Mach 1 or Fast back

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craigneed86

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 351c-4v
I just purchased this 1972 mustang and I'm trying to figure out if its if its a Mach1 or a fast back. I have been noticing the interior is different than other Mach 1. The first numbers of the vin is 2F05Q so I'm assuming it is, I will add some pictures see what you guys think.  

Mach1 had it's own unique VIN code.

05 - Mach 1

02 - sportsroof

Yours is a 72 Mach 1 with the 351 Cobra Jet engine.

The Mach 1 base interior was the standard vinyl upholstery. If you opted for the Mach 1 Sports Interior option, you received the striped seats with knitted vinyl inserts, deluxe doorpanels etc. I've attached the 1972 Facts Book that details all the options and features.

1972 Mustang Facts Book_Rev10_1971.pdf

Attachments

• 1972 Mustang Facts Book_Rev10_1971.pdf
    10.2 MB · Views: 32
Thanks that helped, I also filed a Marti report, but they said it could be up to 8 weeks

Sounds like an awesome find! (I can't see the pics here at work - I'll check 'em out later)   ::thumb::

Check out the Drop-Down menu at the top "Mustang Data."  There's a page for 1972s, which will help you decode the VIN and door decal.

Looks right for a Mach 1. Also previous owner took some liberties with the dash and hood. I do believe the spoiler is on backwards also. The thick edge of the spoiler goes forward and thin to back just like an airplane wing.

There is good in not having the Mach 1 Sports interior. They do not make a correct repo for it.

Marti will probably email you a simple copy of the report and then mail the framed one later. Usually a couple weeks you get the email version.

Thanks for the info. These are the bucket seats they have in it, I want to make it more original.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back