Finally Getting Active on this Site

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, 351C H-code. AOD swap in progress
2000 Harley Softail Standard
My story begins back when I was 15 and living in California: I was working as a machinist after school and summers, driving as an amateur circle track and kart racer, and I had just bought a 1988 Harley Sportster for $800 to restore. The guy I was working wanted an '88 Sportster to build into a drag bike, so he offered me a trade. He traded me his '73 Mustang convertible, which came on a trailer and in milk crates. I figured, since I couldn't drive it yet anyway, I'd take it and restore it. Figured $800 for a classic Mustang couldn't be that bad of a deal, right?

1928832_504146993821_7247_n.jpg 1928832_504146988831_6876_n.jpg

The numbers-matching 351 Cleveland was in another machine shop with a guy who wanted $2000 just to tell me where it was. It was gutted on a shelf. $5000 later, the block was machined 0.010 over and the heads rebuilt. I still had to do the bulk of the assembly, but at least I got it home. I spent the next year and lost count of how many thousand dollars at Kragen Auto Parts and National Parts Depot (which was just down the road, pretty handy. They're a great Mustang parts supplier, if you haven't heard of them) putting the car back together. By the time I had my full driver's license, I had an awesome Mustang.

12715350_802073052611_7935228819372525068_n.jpg 1910089_504146839131_2619_n.jpg

Fast forward 30,000 miles, 4 moves, 2 kids and a Navy career later and she's a garage ornament. The summer sun in Cali and Charleston wore out the cheap paint job, and the Washington winters finished off the body work and electrical system. The convertible top motor is toast, the driver's seat frame is cracked, the chrome is pitting, the engine's rear main seal doesn't, and the rear end and torque converter are also leaking. With the move to high elevation here in New Mexico, the seals have fried out and the fuel system and carburetor need upgrading. It also doesn't help that some dumb 15-year-old did the last restoration on it. I bought an AOD from a Country Squire station wagon a few years ago, but haven't had time to put it in yet, but I'm trying to get back into the habit. Hoping to find some motivation here.

IMG_0646.JPG

I call the car Zelda, after F. Scott Fitzgerald's wife. She wasted all his time and money, ruined his writing career, and drove him to an early grave.

Looking forward to meeting you all,

Jake

Welcome from Ohio.  Nice background story on your car.  Since you have been down the restoration road once before the second time around ought to be easier and quicker.  I  will say not a bad looking job for a 15 year old.  And from one vet to another "Thank You" for your service.  

Welcome from snowy Illinois and another vert owner! 

motivate, motivate!!!!  Thx for your service.  My vert languished for 25 yrs but just got it painted this winter and LOTS of parts sitting in the house (daughter griefed me for so many car parts in the house).  Take it slow but be realistic about what you can get done in a certain time and be ready for changes to the plan as things turn out to be more than you had thought.  i find this forum inspirational and that enthusiasm is infectious.  Welcome aboard!

Welcome to the site and to another convertible owner. It's great that you have hung on to the car all that time. I will be following your proress on the AOD swap as I am interested in doing this to mine too.

Welcome to the world book of 71-73 mustangs.  I try with little success to be an active member after 10 years on board.  Now retired and still no time for much fun.  Not2Old is a 72 Mach up graded H code with little matching Marty report.  Living near Myrtle Beach S.C. and hoping mustang week will not be cancelled like last year, and hope to meet more members if attend.  Need to make forum more a part of my day.  

Everyone stay safe

Alan L  

My story begins back when I was 15 and living in California: I was working as a machinist after school and summers, driving as an amateur circle track and kart racer, and I had just bought a 1988 Harley Sportster for $800 to restore. The guy I was working wanted an '88 Sportster to build into a drag bike, so he offered me a trade. He traded me his '73 Mustang convertible, which came on a trailer and in milk crates. I figured, since I couldn't drive it yet anyway, I'd take it and restore it. Figured $800 for a classic Mustang couldn't be that bad of a deal, right?

View attachment 48815 View attachment 48814

The numbers-matching 351 Cleveland was in another machine shop with a guy who wanted $2000 just to tell me where it was. It was gutted on a shelf. $5000 later, the block was machined 0.010 over and the heads rebuilt. I still had to do the bulk of the assembly, but at least I got it home. I spent the next year and lost count of how many thousand dollars at Kragen Auto Parts and National Parts Depot (which was just down the road, pretty handy. They're a great Mustang parts supplier, if you haven't heard of them) putting the car back together. By the time I had my full driver's license, I had an awesome Mustang.

View attachment 48816 View attachment 48813

Fast forward 30,000 miles, 4 moves, 2 kids and a Navy career later and she's a garage ornament. The summer sun in Cali and Charleston wore out the cheap paint job, and the Washington winters finished off the body work and electrical system. The convertible top motor is toast, the driver's seat frame is cracked, the chrome is pitting, the engine's rear main seal doesn't, and the rear end and torque converter are also leaking. With the move to high elevation here in New Mexico, the seals have fried out and the fuel system and carburetor need upgrading. It also doesn't help that some dumb 15-year-old did the last restoration on it. I bought an AOD from a Country Squire station wagon a few years ago, but haven't had time to put it in yet, but I'm trying to get back into the habit. Hoping to find some motivation here.

View attachment 48823

I call the car Zelda, after F. Scott Fitzgerald's wife. She wasted all his time and money, ruined his writing career, and drove him to an early grave.

Looking forward to meeting you all,

Jake
welcome from Reno, Nevada. love the Red convertible with white top! My Dad traded his to the dealership for the car I now have. Here's a pic.IMG_0033.jpg Cheers

Back