Finally had the seats repaired!!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the guy at the upholstery shop recommended I buy 2 more yards, and save it, for the seat backs and the rear seats, incase they get ripped, just because the price keeps going up every year.

OK, now that you have us all drooling, would you mind telling us how much the upholstery shop charged to do the seats? That would give us a base line figure if we approached a local shop asking them to do it.

Jim...I just had the same done with my seats as the repro covers have the center section as all white. I also purchased the OEM material and had them sewn into the repro covers. They also added new foam where needed. Cost of two front seats was $250. This included removing center section from repro covers, sewing in OEM section, adding foam and installing covers. I have not put the two halfs back together yet. The partial pic on the right of the seat is my original rear seat with the same material.

rap0z9.jpg

OK, now that you have us all drooling, would you mind telling us how much the upholstery shop charged to do the seats? That would give us a base line figure if we approached a local shop asking them to do it.

Thanks Jeff, $250.00 not bad at all for the big difference it makes when you compare them with the standard repros. Now I just need to start a seat stash.

Jim

Jim,

I paid $350 and he was the cheapest in my area.

I have worked with this guy in the past, he installed my Convertible top, and he did work on my brothers Bug.

Imusa76, I am really envious. Back in the late 90's and early 2000 I tried several outfits that said they had original material (73 convertible Blue Sebring Knit Corinthian vinyl trim code 'CB'). The web was still developing at the time and most companies did not have active websites, so I wrote letters with all the information on trim, etc, but never received any replies. When my original material in the front seats, especially the driver's seat split apart I ordered new foam and 'reproduction' material from TMI in 2003.

I just ordered a sample from SMS and now need to search my basement to locate where I stashed my original front and back seat material. My back seat was in excellent condition, but the difference between the two materials was so obvious, I changed front and back to the same repro vinyl.

Thanks for the information.

Bill, I was looking and shopping around for a second set of seats so I could just install the repo from TMI and hide the original, but the seat frames are hard to come by, so I desided to just go for it.

the guy that did the seats said, he had done a few others in the past, and what they did was buy the Repo seat covers from TMI, then buy the Comfortweave from SMS, and just have him replace the stamped stuff with the real stuff, it saves a lot of time, and looks great he said.

If someone has purchased the correct black Comfortweave from SMS for our cars, I'd appreciate it if you could post the part number, thanks! I take it that it was the same for 71-73?

Jim

Bill,

If you buy the correct material and send to TMI they will make the cover with your insert. Brian just had done with his lime green Mach and I think they charged him an extra $100 to make the new seat covers with the SMS material you send them. There is a thread on the subject somewhere.

Bill,

If you buy the correct material and send to TMI they will make the cover with your insert. Brian just had done with his lime green Mach and I think they charged him an extra $100 to make the new seat covers with the SMS material you send them. There is a thread on the subject somewhere.
Thanks.. I think I remember the thread. That's worth the cost!

Back