First ride in my new ride

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 dark green
Took my new to me '72 Mach 1 out today for a test drive.  Marti report showed 2.75 gears but seller believed them to be upgraded with a posi.  He is right, defiantly stronger they 2.75, felt more like the 3.73 I put in my 2014 Mustang.  Was able to "sign" the entrance into my development with a nice matching set of rubber tracks so the posi is defiantly there also.   Was presently surprised with the power it has, brakes seem to work well as did the steering.  But steering felt and sounded funny with a slow full turn in a parking lot, so will have some work to be done there, probably suspension related perhaps.   ALT gauge not working, temp gauge moved but just north of cold (it is about 40 outside).  Oil gauge was about 3/4 to high but I may have a bit more then 5 qts in it as I just changed it and it seemed only 4 qts came out.  Has a retro looking radio that has a remote USB connect for my music and has BT for my phone!! Air and heat seem to work fine as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like overall things went well. Nice to see that you can leave your signature when you want to. lol. The steering could be anything from low on fluid to the rack and pinion. I would check the easiest things first and eliminate things from there. My temp gauge doesn't move much either even in warm temperatures. From what your described I say mine goes a little farther then yours but not by much. I would definitely check the oil level and if overfilled let some out. Wish I had air. Have the condenser but that is it. Hope you get it all figured out.

Took my new to me '72 Mach 1 out today for a test drive.  Marti report showed 2.75 gears but seller believed them to be upgraded with a posi.  He is right, defiantly stronger they 2.75, felt more like the 3.73 I put in my 2014 Mustang.  Was able to "sign" the entrance into my development with a nice matching set of rubber tracks so the posi is defiantly there also.   Was presently surprised with the power it has, brakes seem to work well as did the steering.  But steering felt and sounded funny with a slow full turn in a parking lot, so will have some work to be done there, probably suspension related perhaps.   ALT gauge not working, temp gauge moved but just north of cold (it is about 40 outside).  Oil gauge was about 3/4 to high but I may have a bit more then 5 qts in it as I just changed it and it seemed only 4 qts came out.  Has a retro looking radio that has a remote USB connect for my music and has BT for my phone!! Air and heat seem to work fine as well.
 Sounds like you have a winner! 

The Alt gauges were always useless. Bob at Rocketman's Classic Cougar Innovations can rework it to be a volt gauge, or you can change it out yourself for an aftermarket one. Bob is listed at the bottom of the forum pages.

I don't think you're overfilled on the oil. The oil pan will take 6 US qts. 5 is what I put in my 71.

The steering ( I take it IS power?) can be many things, but first check the level when hot. It is not rack and pinion by the way. If there is still the tag on the top of the PS box, if you can't see it to read it, undo the bolt holding it. Should be under the front bolt closest to the motor on the sector shaft cover plate. If it reads SPA-T or V it is variable ratio 16:1 to 13:1, if it is SPA-S or U, it is standard 17.5:1 fixed ratio. That will tell you what box you have. A Mach 1 should have a T or V box. Once you have checked the fluid level and is good, how does it feel? There ought not to be more than about 1" free play at the top of the steering wheel. More than that, you may want to think about a rebuild or upgrade to a fast ratio conversion.

Have fun, at least you can drive it for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you found a good one ::thumb:: 

Welcome from Northern Ohio... where Kilgon's A/C parts are hiding

Sounds like you have a winner! 

or you can change it out yourself for an aftermarket one.
do standard aftermarket gauges fit into the dash housing that the originals sit in?
 Pretty damn close, but may need a bit of fettling. 

See my pic in the linked post #9. I changed up the entire gauge package with Bosch and Hi-Po Parts Elite Series II LED lights. What jpaz did is very similar.

Don't have time right now, but I'll link my thread on what I did if that helps.

Back