First times the charm?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Grande will undergo three phase build process. Phase 1 is complete (driver). Phase 2 is interior/exterior restoration. Phase 3 is ++ performance.
Hello:

I'm getting close to reassembling the front suspension on my 73 and was wondering if someone had a guide to do so? I’ve got tje shop manual, and a Clinton one too, but I was wondering if someone had a sequence plan with the torque, what to watch out for, etc thing. I’ve done front ends, just not the coil on A Arm type and wanted it to all come out fine. My plan is, each side suspension, install engine and trans, then steering and swap bar stuff; don’t want to scratch anything. Thanks.

My only suggestion, as I just did my complete front end, would be to get one of the Ford specific coil spring compressors that picks up the spring through the spring saddle. It is a very safe and relatively fast tool to use. I had to do the right side 3 times and my left side 2 times to get it right. With a normal coils spring compressor I would have gone nuts, plus some of them can be quite dangerous to use. What happened to me on the right side was that the coils spring cover was bent, probably from a previous accident, it was not really noticeable. When I finished the right side the coil spring cover would slightly rub on the spring. The stock upper control arms had 2 washers on each of the bolts, which I reused when mounting the new control arms. I though that that was the issue, as the washers move the control arms out towards the coils spring cover, so I disassembled everything again, and removed the washers. It still rubbed on the coil spring cover and I finally noticed that it was slightly bent, so I removed it and pounded it into shape, no more rubbing, I though I was good, little did I know... Then I went to the left side, and mounted to upper control arm without the washers this time. After finishing I noticed that the back of the control arms was hitting the shock towers, and when I looked at the right side, I had the same issue there! So, I had to take the right side apart again, and put back the 2 washers that I had previously removed, and I had to take the left side apart again to also add the washers. the issue ended up being the Moog upper control arms, they are not bent in the back the same as the factory control arms, so you need to space them out from the shock tower so that they can articulate without touching it.

Here is the coils spring compressor:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/152545289791?hash=item238468663f:g:ZH8AAOSwYDNgnDtX

Sounds like you got very good at using your spring compressor. I also had a single washer between the shaft and the shock tower. I couldn’t find it on the Ford parts list or the service manual exploded diagram. I was gonna leave them off, but now, not sure.

I agree that style spring compressor is the best! They are around $100. Front anti roll bar was in place,base steering was in place, I just did mine, start with nothing on the car, install spring and UCA using this tool, then add LCA, then spindle Assembly. Use floor jack under LCA to align things..Then tie rods. Then the bars that go LCA around front crossmember. Add shocks. Leave everything loose. Get weight on the car suspension and tighten everything except LCA. One car settles a bit tighten LCA. That’s where I am, waiting for settling..I am missing a lot of weight so mine is up in the air…also, add 90 degree grease fittings to ends of UCA if they don’t come with them.

Thanks, that’s what I was looking for. Any suggestions on the two flat washers between the UCA shafts and the shock towers? Should I put them back in?
I had to put them back in, and I see no reason why not to put them back in.

Thanks, that’s what I was looking for. Any suggestions on the two flat washers between the UCA shafts and the shock towers? Should I put them back in?
The washers will add to the caster. They are probably there because without them, caster wasn't able to get to a high enough value.

Back