Flame out?

Anderslober

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
Ford focus and 1967 Fiat 500.
Hello forum. Wierd thing happened while out driving my 429cj. It was warmed up......put in gear...drove 30m...car flamed out......was able to start up again and go. Later same day.....car flamed out on road.....I managed to pull over safely......very difficult to start.....poured on some gas.....a couple of minutes later was able to start and drove home. Any ideas?

car had been standing still for nearly a year (due all this corona stuff)...

picture from drive.👍

4E48B4E2-EFBE-4401-A366-108D39AEE5C5.png

Don C

Fords Forever
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Sportroof M code
What did it do when it quit? Did it backfire, stutter and stumble, lose power before it quit, or just quit like the key was turned off?

Did you notice any gas smell when it was off or when you tried starting it?

Anderslober

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
The car quit like the key was turned off. No sputtering. The gas tank was just over quarter full.

Don C

Fords Forever
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Sportroof M code
Do you have stock ignition, or an electronic ignition? If you have points, the condenser may be the problem, failing when it gets hot. Coils can also fail when they get hot. I would check all electrical connections, if you have points make sure the gap is correct and the ground strap and condenser in the distributor are securely fastened.

Jeff73Mach1

VIP Members
Site Supporters
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q code Mach 1
Check the wire that is a fusable link coming off the starter relay/solenoid, it may be shorting out.  I would also check your grounds esp your ignition grounds

Anderslober

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
My car has electronic ignition.

How would I check if the fusable wire is defective?

thanks...

Fabrice

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
73 Grande 351C
71 Mach 1 429CJ
@Anderslober you would have power at the start of the wire and nothing on the other end... That's what fuses do.

Jeff73Mach1

VIP Members
Site Supporters
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q code Mach 1
Off the starter relay, you'll find the fusable link- IIRC it is yellow.  You may have to open up the wiring bundle to follow it, but typically, they burn through inside the wire casing leaving a soft spot.  You can buy replacement fusible link wire,  make sure it is the same gauge and cut back the original and use a good butt connector to crimp the replacement on.

Usually when they fail, it is sudden and complete, but I have had one short intermittently for a few drives before it failed.