Flapper Door Air Cleaner

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 CJ 4 speed HIGHLY Optioned
Hello Fellow Enthusiasts; Recently purchased a CJ Air Cleaner with the vacuum actuated side flapper door.

Can anyone Please tell me what air cleaner & appropriate part number to purchase for this application?

Also what holds the flapper door closed when there is not enough adequate vacuum to open the flapper door?

In it's present purchased condition to flapper door wants to stay open.

THANKS for your input & replies!!!...Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Fellow Enthusiasts; Recently purchased a CJ Air Cleaner with the vacuum actuated side flapper door.

Can anyone Please tell me what air cleaner & appropriate part number to purchase for this application?

Also what holds the flapper door closed when there is not enough adequate vacuum to open the flapper door?

According to wix it is 42116. Chuck http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Applications.aspx?Section=1

Does the "vacuum motor" hold a vacuum? It may be blown. Chuck

The diagrams here may help. Chuck

http://www.mustangbarn.com/72vacuum.html

According to wix it is 42116. Chuck http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Applications.aspx?Section=1

Hello Chuck; Very much Appreciate your reply & links.

I checked the vacuum diagrams for a "flapper door" installion, but did not see one.

I want to properly pick up the vacuum as installed from the factory.

I was "told" that "Yes" the vacuum motor/actuator holds vacuum.

Have not checked to confirm this as the package was just delivered today.

I was interested in knowing, "What holds the flapper door Closed?!"

I would have thought that a spring on the actuator shaft rod, would keep the flapper door closed & the required vacuum would open the flapper door.

Is there a spring inside the metal body of the actuator that holds the flapper closed?

Any idea where to view a cut-a-way schematic of the actuator body?

Even though my 1973 351c CJ didn't come with the flapper door air cleaner, I LIKE the look & want to install it as though OEM.....THANKS!!!...Mark

Hello Chuck; Very much Appreciate your reply & links.

I checked the vacuum diagrams for a "flapper door" installion, but did not see one.

I want to properly pick up the vacuum as installed from the factory.

I was "told" that "Yes" the vacuum motor/actuator holds vacuum.

Have not checked to confirm this as the package was just delivered today.

I was interested in knowing, "What holds the flapper door Closed?!"

I would have thought that a spring on the actuator shaft rod, would keep the flapper door closed & the required vacuum would open the flapper door.

Is there a spring inside the metal body of the actuator that holds the flapper closed?

Any idea where to view a cut-a-way schematic of the actuator body?

Even though my 1973 351c CJ didn't come with the flapper door air cleaner, I LIKE the look & want to install it as though OEM.....THANKS!!!...Mark
I was off a line when I read the chart. The number I cited is for a ram air car. The Q code number is 42063. I can't find the reference right now but, from memory the door is open with no vacuum applied and closed with vacuum applied. At idle or light load, manifold vacuum is high, under heavy load or WOT the manifold vacuum is low. Chuck

The flap is normally open, that way if it fails hot air is not constantly pulled into the engine. Vacuum holds the flap closed until the engine compartment reaches about 90 degrees. A temperature sensitive vacuum valve in the bottom of the air cleaner base controls the vacuum.

If you are talking about the heat riser flapper in the snorkel, then yes it is a temperature-contolled and vacuum-actuated flapper. It helps the carb and engine to heat up quicker on cold starts.

But, if you are refrring to the big curved flapper on the side of the air cleaner body, it is a simple vacuum-only controlled item...no temperature regulation involved. Manifold vacuum at idle normally holds it closed and as RPM increases, your manifold vacuum drops, allowing the door to open drawing in fresh air. Full throttle produces near-zero manifold vacuum, so the door opens instantly allowing a fresh charge of air. Thats the idea anyway!

Exactly what Kit said that is the way the system works. The side flapper is to give the engine a shot of extra air flow when the throttle is cracked open. Same principle as the Ram Air system, no vacuum doors open, vacuum doors close.

By the way do you know the build date on your 73 Q code? Always a discussion on the 73 Q codes coming with that air cleaner and Ones that did not. Mine came with the chrome top / side flap / door, built 12/22/72. Just currious.

Exactly what Kit said that is the way the system works. The side flapper is to give the engine a shot of extra air flow when the throttle is cracked open. Same principle as the Ram Air system, no vacuum doors open, vacuum doors close.

By the way do you know the build date on your 73 Q code? Always a discussion on the 73 Q codes coming with that air cleaner and Ones that did not. Mine came with the chrome top / side flap / door, built 12/22/72. Just currious.
Hello FastE; According to my Elite Marti Report, my "1" of "1" 1973 Mach 1, last serial numbers being 15939 was built on April 24 1973, 20 days behind schedule.

Purchased car from original owner's widow. Car was sold from a Santa Clara, California Ford Dealership ( Dealership still in business) & car NEVER left the area.

Car was 100% STOCK as delivered from dealership, when I purchased it & came with a OEM 351c 4V air cleaner, Ford Blue in color, NO chrome lid.

Being a garaged California car, the body is 99.99999999999999999% Rust Free, only rust is under battery tray ( more like corrosion than rust) & a few pin holes in the back seat floor pan.

In the process of installing a new interior carpet kit, I found the original Factory build sheet under the passenger carpet padding.

Car has NEVER been hit & retains ALL factory sheet metal.

Was SERIOUSLY in negotiation for an original owner Highly Optioned 1969 Mach 1 "S" code ( 390ci engine) 4 speed located in Kansas. Deal fell apart at $18,800.00 ( STILL KICK MYSELF over that one!!!) when I happened upon the 73 Mach 1.

Only found out about it being "1" of "1" after purchase.

Was not a huge fan of the 71-73 Mach 1s, BUT....The car is definitely growing on me!!!

Recently purchased a Factory Ford dual exhaust rear valance & installed that, along with the flapper door air cleaner.

Engine still is 100% correct ( except air cleaner) & still has the dual point, No vacuum distributor, factory carb/intake/exhaust, etc,etc.

Finding a replacement accordion flex hose that runs from the air cleaner snorkel to the cold air intake piece was akin to finding a Unicorn in a field of 4 leaf clovers.

Shifting from 1st to second with any amount of throttle, Instantly produces a "Nice CHIRP!!!", as the car has ALL the Goodies in regards to Comp Suspension/Traction-Lok differential/351c 4V ( believe motor is a 4 bolt)...Mark

Sounds like a find! You sure the dizzy is correct? Mine came with a single point vacuum advance distributer. The reason I asked about the air cleaner was exactly what I have found. From what I understand after January 1, 1973 Ford stopped the installation of the air cleaner system due to EPA noise regs. Samething is true about the through the valance exhaust system. After that date you got the turn downs on the Q code, like a Boss 351, no chrome tips. Mine was built December 22, 1972 and was probably in the last group to get these installed.

I am one of those guys you would not like. The day I bought mine I drove it home and installed a set of Cragar SS's and had a differant intake carb and headers with in a few months. The car has been drag raced all of it's life and servived two son's and me. Oh, my Marti report showed mine as being " 1 of 4" and the only one sold in the US. They can really break those numbers down!

Sounds like a find! You sure the dizzy is correct? Mine came with a single point vacuum advance distributer. The reason I asked about the air cleaner was exactly what I have found. From what I understand after January 1, 1973 Ford stopped the installation of the air cleaner system due to EPA noise regs. Samething is true about the through the valance exhaust system. After that date you got the turn downs on the Q code, like a Boss 351, no chrome tips. Mine was built December 22, 1972 and was probably in the last group to get these installed.

I am one of those guys you would not like. The day I bought mine I drove it home and installed a set of Cragar SS's and had a differant intake carb and headers with in a few months. The car has been drag raced all of it's life and servived two son's and me. Oh, my Marti report showed mine as being " 1 of 4" and the only one sold in the US. They can really break those numbers down!
Reference the distributor, I have one reference, that I have not verified, stating the 4 speed Q codes got a dual point and the auto car got a single point. Oh Fast-E, what is your new race toy? Chuck

Reference the distributor, I have one reference, that I have not verified, stating the 4 speed Q codes got a dual point and the auto car got a single point. Oh Fast-E, what is your new race toy? Chuck
Hey Chuck,! That is what I heard also just the 4spd cars got the duel point.I "stold" a 66 Fairlane GT,an original S code, C6, 3:50, non air,ps,pb car. Car is very solid! Factory manual disc brake,Raven black, red interior. It has been a drag car for along time. Has 63,000 showing on the clock which I beleive to be correct. Has an 8 point cage, ladder bars, track locater, Moser 4:56 axels and third member. Currently has a 302, C4 until this evening. Going to do a 428 for it.

Hey Chuck,! That is what I heard also just the 4spd cars got the duel point.I "stold" a 66 Fairlane GT,an original S code, C6, 3:50, non air,ps,pb car. Car is very solid! Factory manual disc brake,Raven black, red interior. It has been a drag car for along time. Has 63,000 showing on the clock which I beleive to be correct. Has an 8 point cage, ladder bars, track locater, Moser 4:56 axels and third member. Currently has a 302, C4 until this evening. Going to do a 428 for it.
OUTSTANDING!!!! You'll love running an FE after you get over hating it.:) Chuck

Correct in regards to the 4 speed cars having the dual point distributor.

Hello FastE; I'm NOT much of a "Purist" per say in regards to keeping cars "Stock".

I have 11 Sports Cars ranging from a 1959 Austin Healey BN6 to a 1991 Ferrari Testarossa.

I believe "Well Designed"(well designed being subjective) upgrades as truly at the discretion of the owner...PLUS most alterations, other than metal work body mods can ALWAYS be returned to OEM.

I'm NOT a "Polisher & Poiser" , I DRIVE & ENJOY!!!

Back