Flowmaster FlowFX mufflers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are a couple videos. First one is idle and rev.

Jason they do sound nice, now I just have to decide!!

I think I'm going to go to the muffler shop and talk to Larry again, see what his latest price is. He sells the Dynomax line, not sure if for profit or they are just an all round good muffler. 

Considering shipping and exchange, there's very little in it cost wise to buy a "kit" from the US or buy locally, just a lot more convenient to have someone else do it.

I'll be sure to let you all know what I decide soon.

Thanks,

Geoff.

I started using Walker turbo mufflers in the '70s and then Dynomax when Walker started that line. I like the sound and performance and they are the only performance mufflers I use. Even put one on a 1994 Kia Sportage my wife and I towed behind our motorhome.

Thanks all.

Here's what I've decided to do. I went to the custom muffler shop and got a price which, all thing considered, is not that much different to buying a "kit" then trying to fit it myself and if it didn't fit, I'd be at the shop getting it fitted.

I ordered a pair of Flowmaster FlowFX 71225 2 1/4" from Amazon.ca, free shipping, for less than if I bought from Summit and payed international shipping. The shop can install them and if I don't like them, they can replace them with Dynomax Turbos as they are the same length muffler, or, visa versa.

All the pipes will be an exact fit. Just got to re-polish the tips and refit. (Too cheap to buy new!!)

I'll update in a week or so when it's all done.

Thanks again for the input, much appreciated.

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Me three.

Also I had sonic turbos on my car when it last ran. Even they did drone. Like another said it is all about the remainder of the system on if it will drone or not.

This was in 1986, before I knew what drone was. In 1996 I added Flowmaster to my mustang cobra and found out what drone was. :/

Me three.

Also I had sonic turbos on my car when it last ran.  Even they did drone.  Like another said it is all about the remainder of the system on if it will drone or not.

This was in 1986, before I knew what drone was.  In 1996 I added Flowmaster to my mustang cobra and found out what drone was.  :/
Some drone may be inevitable, but as long as that ear spitting Flowmaster 40 drone is gone, I'll be a happy camper. 

Time will tell, I'll be baaaaack!!

So folks, today I got the Flowmaster FlowFX mufflers fitted along with new tail pipes. The shop owner convinced me to save myself about 500 bucks and NOT replace the H pipe and intermediates. Although a bit rusty, they are still in great shape. As I don't "show" the underside of the car, 500 bucks in my pocket sounded like a good deal.

Now for the surprise, they are quieter than the Flowmaster 40's at idle, but come to life when I step on it. Yes there is some mild drone, but no where near like it was, more like a louder exhaust note. What I did notice on the short test run I did was the entire system seemed to be less restricted.

On Sunday, I'm taking it on a long run to Amherstburg and back on the 401 highway, so I'll be running around 70 mph most of the way. That'll be a good test I'm sure.

I'm still having a problem attaching stuff, so if I get that sorted, I'll try to upload a video. Not done a video before so it'll be a learning experience.

So, if anyone wants the still in good condition 40's they're yours for the cost of shipping. Don't know why anybody would want them, but I thought I'd throw it out there!!

Geoff.

A quick update after the trip to the Amherstburg car show yesterday. 

For now at least, I'll be keeping the FlowFX mufflers on. The "big test" will be when the wife comes with me for a drive. If she doesn't mind the mild drone, it's all good.

Like I said, at the same 2000-2500 rpm range, there is still some drone, but more like a loud exhaust note rather than me wanting to plug my ears!

As for performance, they seem much less restricted and now I seem to have fixed the carb issues, it takes off like a rocket on hard acceleration, no bog, no stumble, just goes.

Another "thing" I found was that these mufflers are very similar to the Magnaflow 11225 straight through, but with no SS mesh packing along with fibre glass. i.e. a cheaper version, like half the price.

My buddy (with the yellow Corvette) says they sound good from behind, but I'll have to take his word on that!!

Geoff.

Interesting find at the swap meet today, Jpaz I believe, mentioned having a set of Sonic Turbo's on his car. Others commented they were from the 80's. No idea really, but a guy had a pair of Sonic Turbos, brand new in boxes, 2 1/4" off set inlet, 2 1/4" center outlets for 50 bucks Cdn each. Maybe I should have bought them!

Oh well the Flowmaster flow FX seem to be doing the job, nice (neighborhood friendly) mellow sound at idle and blows the doors off at wot with far less drone effect, livable I say.

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting find at the swap meet today, Jpaz I believe, mentioned having a set of Sonic Turbo's on his car. Others commented they were from the 80's. No idea really, but a guy had a pair of Sonic Turbos, brand new in boxes, 2 1/4" off set inlet, 2/14" center outlets for 50 bucks Cdn each. Maybe I should have bought them!

Oh well the Flowmaster flow FX seem to be doing the job, nice (neighborhood friendly) mellow sound at idea and blows the doors off at wot with far less drone effect, livable I say.

Geoff.
That’s about how the sonic turbos are I have on my car. Nice and mellow when cruising, I can hear my radio with no problem if I want. But stomp on it and it really sounds killer. Especially with my new engine rebuild and headers.

Interesting find at the swap meet today, Jpaz I believe, mentioned having a set of Sonic Turbo's on his car. Others commented they were from the 80's. No idea really, but a guy had a pair of Sonic Turbos, brand new in boxes, 2 1/4" off set inlet, 2/14" center outlets for 50 bucks Cdn each. Maybe I should have bought them!

Oh well the Flowmaster flow FX seem to be doing the job, nice (neighborhood friendly) mellow sound at idea and blows the doors off at wot with far less drone effect, livable I say.

Geoff.
That’s about how the sonic turbos are I have on my car. Nice and mellow when cruising, I can hear my radio with no problem if I want. But stomp on it and it really sounds killer. Especially with my new engine rebuild and headers.
 John, I guess you might get to hear them next weekend in Dearborn. Today I went to another show about 20 miles away, so I was able to really get a feel for them as the speed limit is only 50 mph on that road. cruising at about 2400 rpm, nice tone, no drone! (at least compared to the 40's)

I just reread my last post and saw a load of spelling mistakes, sorry about that, not paying attention I guess.

Back