Fluid for Borgeson when used with Ford pump?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boxgranch

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Base Convertible 302
In an effort to save money, we are trying to recycle the Ford power steering pump with the Borgeson power steering box. They helpfully sell hoses to connect it to the Ford pump, but as I was reading the instructions, I noted they want us to use P/S fluid in it. The Ford unit used Type F ATF. That, of course, leads to quandary of which to use in the system. I looked around here and it seems that the Ford system really does need some of the qualities of the Type F, but that that apply to both the pump and the box or just the box? I really hate to put ATF in the Borgeson box when they ask for a quality P/S fluid. Anyone have any experience with this? If the fluid causes the pump and box to be incompatible, I presume I need to get the Saginaw pump, but Borgeson is not showing that as compatible with the 71-73. They do have one for the 289/302 engine, but they don't list it as working with our cars.

I got a reply from Borgeson, they said ATF is OK in the box, but NOT in their Saginaw pump. At that point, I did not pursue the information about whether they have a pump that would work. Since we are WAY over budget on this, that really helped, though I wish we could afford the new pump and be done with it. My fatalistic assumption is that the pump will blow in the next six months and we will then have the hassle of purging the ATF from the system and replacing it with P/S fluid.

I would just run the power steering fluid, and not use ATF. The Saginaw pump was used with both power steering fluid and with ATF back in the late 60's and 70's. Ford used the Saginaw pump with ATF, and GM used it with power steering fluid. I do not believe that there is a major difference between the Saginaw pumps used in the Ford vehicles and the GM vehicles. Seems that the issue with fluids was in the steering box itself and not in the pump. P/S fluid and ATF are both hydraulic fluids, the main difference is that ATF has friction modifiers and detergents that the the P/S fluid does not have. My understanding is that the friction modifiers and detergents can damage seals not made to handle them. I would run P/S fluid on your system, it should be fine. 

Oh well, after finally getting to the point of cleaning the Ford pump, I decided there was sufficient reason to suspect a leak was going plus the Borgeson kit for mounting the Saginaw looks a lot simpler to reinstall than the Ford, so I gave in and bought the new pump. I will now have multiple sets of new hoses, sigh. We were going to replace the original ones and leave the power steering box alone, but the allure of better steering won out, so I have a set of those hoses plus a set to connect the Borgeson box to the Ford pump. Its been 6 months, but maybe Summit will be kind and take them back.

Latest posts

Back