FMX Alloy Oil Pan Availability

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 351c 2v fmx convertible
Does anyone know if there is an alloy oil pan available for the FMX transmission? I would have thought that something was available considering the amount of these transmissions made and used over the years in the USA and Australia alone.

I don't believe anyone makes an alloy oil pan for the FMX transmission. the FMX was never considered to be a good transmission for high performance use, not exactly sure why, but the fact that they were cast iron and heavy probably has a lot to do with it. Anyone that I ever dealt with that had a Ford race car with an automatic transmission either used a C4, a C6, or a GM made Powerglide.

Thanks for your replies. There is nothing wrong with my pan, but was just curious if there was anything available because I had not noticed anything for sale for them.
In Australia the FMX was considered to be a strong transmission and was fitted to our GT Falcons. Here is an excerpt from Trade Unique Cars.com.au article: GT Falcons from the XA onwards were fitted with the extremely heavy duty FMX transmission.

Thanks for your replies. There is nothing wrong with my pan, but was just curious if there was anything available because I had not noticed anything for sale for them.
In Australia the FMX was considered to be a strong transmission and was fitted to our GT Falcons. Here is an excerpt from Trade Unique Cars.com.au article: GT Falcons from the XA onwards were fitted with the extremely heavy duty FMX transmission.
Again, I don't think that there is anything wrong with the FMX, it just that it being cast iron, it was heavy and by the early 70's it was an old early 50's design that was considered outdated. The C4/C6 were just lighter and more modern designs and that is what everyone used here, so that is what the aftermarket supported. The only thing that I am aware that there is for the FMX, for a performance part, is basically a shift kit. There is really not much else available.

Again, I don't think that there is anything wrong with the FMX, it just that it being cast iron, it was heavy and by the early 70's it was an old early 50's design that was considered outdated. The C4/C6 were just lighter and more modern designs and that is what everyone used here, so that is what the aftermarket supported. The only thing that I am aware that there is for the FMX, for a performance part, is basically a shift kit. There is really not much else available.
I feel there may have been a bit of a misunderstanding. I just asked about the availability of alloy pans and did not state in my post that I was looking for any performance upgrade. My Mustang is just a road car. My race car runs an Albins Transaxle. I just added the excerpt for a different perspective after your reply. Another piece from the same article is: The Americans didn’t use them very much, so there aren’t many aftermarket components available. A shift kit and stronger band is about it. Even so, they’re naturally tough and about the only thing that goes wrong is that they wear the second gear band, but that happens mainly in high-performance applications. So it looks like you are right about the lack of after market parts.
I apologize if I have upset you in any way.

Last edited:
Kind of bullet proof. I’ve got the TransGo kit that allows full manual. Not for daily driver for sure.

I feel there may have been a bit of a misunderstanding. I just asked about the availability of alloy pans and did not state in my post that I was looking for any performance upgrade. My Mustang is just a road car. My race car runs an Albins Transaxle. I just added the excerpt for a different perspective after your reply. Another piece from the same article is: The Americans didn’t use them very much, so there aren’t many aftermarket components available. A shift kit and stronger band is about it. Even so, they’re naturally tough and about the only thing that goes wrong is that they wear the second gear band, but that happens mainly in high-performance applications. So it looks like you are right about the lack of after market parts.
I apologize if I have upset you in any way.
True. Nothing out there other than rebuild kits and the shift upgrades. All in all a solid trans if you have a 351C in there. Mine is a Boss 351 with modifications. Best of luck and post back here if you find something.

Back