FMX coolant lines

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 "Q Code"
As I am nearing the installation of my FMX trans, I have new lines to install as well. Does anyone have a pic or two for the correct routing of the lines and which line goes toward the top of the radiator and location on the transmission? This car was missing everything when I got it, so all advice is really appreciated. BTW, if needed, it is a 1973 (72 engine), 351C with the stock type radiator. Thanks in advance.

Tom

The lines are unique and hard to mix up on an FMX. 

View attachment 49791
Hemi killer,

Now I feel stupid. I was so excited when you posted this, darn near giggled :) 

Im in the same scenario. 71 mach 1 Car didnt have the tranny or radiator. Has a o.e 351c and O.E radiator .  But I dont understand the pic drawing that you so kindly provided. 

Hemi killer,

Im in the same scenario. 71 mach 1 Car didnt have the tranny or radiator. Has a o.e 351c and O.E radiator, O.E FMX  .  But I dont understand the pic drawing that you so kindly provided. 

Hemi killer,

Im in the same scenario. 71 mach 1 Car didnt have the tranny or radiator. Has a o.e 351c and O.E radiator .  But I dont understand the pic drawing that you so kindly provided. 
What's your specific question?

Does the top radiator line go into the front port of the tranny? or the back port of the tranny? 

Thanks

Thanks so much brother, I appreciate the pic and the clarification on this one. I do have the pre-bent ones but to be honest, I installed them on my transmission since it's still on the bench and looked at the front end of the tubes and they both looked like they could go to either top of bottom on the radiator. I had been drinking but I don't think that was the issue, classic lines has not really impressed me with their pre-bent lines lately. Thanks again.

Tom

Thanks Hemi Killer!  

I dont have any of the lines for the fmx. Otherwise I might of been able to figure this one out. I will get them on order today.

Thanks again for the clarification! the pics and all you do for the forum.

Rod and Sally

Now would be a great time to add a stand alone transmission cooler. It will take the extra heat out of the radiator and your transmission oil will be much cooler than the hot radiator. I added one to my 73 vert. Did not drill any holes anywhere so could be removed and never know it was there. I made one bracket that attached to the center support of the grill. The other went to the radiator support both use Ford installed fasteners. I used a Hayden fan cooled and you can hold the return line and barely warm after the cooler. Helps the engine stay cool and the transmission last longer. I use the smooth fuel injection type hose clamps here are some pics of install and the cooler. Seems like I got from Summit. Just put brass plugs in the radiator fittings. Cut metal lines and added rubber at the cooler. Been on about 2 + years no issue.

20200807_132304.jpg

20200807_132313.jpg

20200807_132325.jpg

20200807_132332.jpg

20200807_132338.jpg

20200807_132400.jpg

20200807_132838.jpg

20200807_132853.jpg

20200807_132930.jpg

Back