FMX drain and refill

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llecates

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Coupe
302, Auto
I've already drained the pan, changed out the filter, and reattached it. What else do I need to do? I know this may sound bad, but I'm not sure exactly where to fill the fluid, either. Thanks in advance.

Don't you refill in the tube that has the dipstick?

Better get a good funnel or you will be donating half to the ground.

I don't know if the FMX has a torque converter drain or not. If so, definitely drain it as well before refilling. There's a couple of quarts stuck in there...

And yes, when you refill, pour SLOWLY.

Been down that messy road before, LOL!

I just got off the phone with a buddy of mine, and he's telling me that I need to drain the torque convertor. Apparently there's an inspection plate near the oil pan. It appears to be a two man job, so I'll see if I can get someone to assist. I'll try to take pics of the process for documentation. Anyone else have any information?

Nope, one man job.

Just need to remove small inspection plate, and may need to rotate converter till the small drain plug is accessible.

Here are some pictures of the inspection plate and the interior of the case. If you're wondering what that sludge is, it's about half the state of Georgia's red dirt caked to the undercarriage of the car. The previous owner must've been a Duke's of Hazzard fan. As you can see, I've found a bolt inside, and I'm wondering if this is the one I need to remove in order to drain the rest of the fluid.

Inspection Plate FMX.jpeg

Interior view FMX.jpeg

I can't see it very well, but that's probably it, it's smaller than the oil drain plug, maybe 3/8", been a while since I drained one. The torque spec for tightening it is 15-28 ft-lbs.

How do you refill it?

Back