FMX Linkage diagram

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 "Q Code"
Does anyone have a diagram for a FMX automatic transmission shifter linkage and can post a pic here? My FMX is out of a 1972 Mustang (as far as I know) and when following the linkage directions that I found on here, it says "loosen linkage nut under the car, place the shifter in the Drive position and secure it, and at the transmission linkage go two click positions from the farthest rear position, then tighten the linkage nut". I did these steps and now cannot get the shifter all the way into the Park position. I would think that if the trans has a 1, 2, and Drive positions, I would go 3 clicks from the rear on the transmission linkage.
I have also read threads on here that individuals have held the shifter in Park, loosened the linkage nut, put the transmission linkage into the furthest rear position, turned the driveshaft to make sure that the parking pawl went into place and then tightened the linkage nut.
Any assistance and thoughts are greatly appreciated, I want to get the linkage adjustment done tomorrow night when I have someone to hold the shifter in place. Thanks.

Tom

Thanks Steve, that's the same as the one that I have now, the instructions are the "2 clicks from the rear" on the trans linkage for Drive. If that's the proper procedures and no one has any additional advice, I will have to try it again. Thanks and I appreciate the help.

Tom

I have never done this on a Mustang with an FMX, but I have had this issue with GM and Mopar transmissions, and I will tell you what I can see from the diagram, and what I have done on other vehicles. The shift rod 7340 is adjustable, look at the square with the 7340 rod where it says to "engage flats of stud before applying torque". You will need to play a bit with that adjustment to get it to work correctly. You are probably a tiny bit off, but that tiny bit is all you need for the trans not to go into gear. Those old Ford automatic transmission shifter get really sloppy with age, if you did not rebuild it, the slop in it is what is partially creating the issue for you. This is what I would do to get the car going. As it sits right now, try to put the car in park, obviously it will not go in, get underneath the car and loosen the adjusting nut on the 7340 rod and just push the lever on the transmission fully into park and tighten down the rod again. Get out from under the car and see if you now have all gears, what could happen is that now it goes into park and will not go into 1st gear. If that happens you will need to keep playing with it till you get it right. If you haven't done so, you should get a kit to rebuild the shifter, they are inexpensive and readily available and easy to do.

71ProjectJunk is right - the shifter on the FMX can be sloppy. Before I had my FMX rebuilt, this was the case. I had to check with the shifter in several positions to get it just right.

Thanks 71 ProjectJunk and 71coop, I will be getting back under it again tonight and hopefully report good results afterwards. Shifter has been rebuilt with new bushings a few months ago, so I have no slop at all right now. I kind of knew this would take a lot of fiddling with and adjusting but was hoping that it would not. This is about the 4th time for adjustment and am hoping will be the last time. Got to love these old cars though, it helps with my work and daily life stress relief. More to follow after I try again. Thanks.

Tom

Sorry for not posting updates last night, I got tied up after adjusting the linkage. Well after adjustment, I have Park again as well as going into and engaging all of the gears, so that is definitely a Win in my book. However, I still need to play with the adjustment some more because the shifter gear indicator does not line up with the position letter on the shifter. I did not take a pic of the indicator needle position but this morning, I seem to remember that the needle is above the letters for each position. So I will be back at it tonight and hopefully have more than 15 minutes to look at it and adjust it more. Thanks for everyone's help and more to follow.

Tom

Sorry for not posting updates last night, I got tied up after adjusting the linkage. Well after adjustment, I have Park again as well as going into and engaging all of the gears, so that is definitely a Win in my book. However, I still need to play with the adjustment some more because the shifter gear indicator does not line up with the position letter on the shifter. I did not take a pic of the indicator needle position but this morning, I seem to remember that the needle is above the letters for each position. So I will be back at it tonight and hopefully have more than 15 minutes to look at it and adjust it more. Thanks for everyone's help and more to follow.

Tom
Glad you got all your gears again :)

Hi, I rebuilt mine just month ago. Bit of a pain. You're right about the needle position. See photos. Way better then the major slop I had. The needle alignment is to due to detent cam being worn. I think

Attachments

• PXL_20220722_142837459.jpg
    PXL_20220722_142837459.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20220722_142407408.jpg
    PXL_20220722_142407408.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Back