FMX to B&M Ratchet Shifter

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
Please Jump in and correct any misinformation. First off, I have already rebuilt my FMX and have no interest in changing over to another transmission to "make it easier" or "upgrade" to a C-6.

From all the digging around I have done, it appears almost or no one has been able to successful mount a B&M or Hurst Ratchet shifter to the FMX with using the original shift lever. I know you can drop the valve body to add a Lokar shift cable. I am also aware it may be possible to drop the tranny and change the pressed on shift level to make it work.

What I have seen online it seems to be because the shift points do not line up with the current cable travel. I am currently going to be working with a B&M Star Shifter. This shifter appears to be functional with the C-4 & C-6 family that already able to be bolted right in our cars. I assume that as long as I make the Star Shifter functional with one FMX transmission, it should be functional or swappable with all other cable shifters in this standard shift pattern and compatability.

That being said, I think it is absolutely crazy to go through more than a simple bolt on attachment to make it work. So that leads me to my questions: if I created a bolt on device that would allow you to bolt up and C-4 or C-6 cable shifter to an FMX with no modification to the transmission; would any of you be interested in buying it? What is a reasonable price to pay, considering a ratchet shifter is already 300 bucks or so? If there is enough interest, I will start looking into R&D.

The PO had a B&M Mega shifter connected to the FMX that was in my car.

There was a ear made that atatched to the shift lever and the throw of the cable was changed with a spacer at the shifter.

He used a C6 cable bracket and it had the rear hole slotted to mount to the FMX.

I sold the shifter last year but I took photos and measurements if anyone wants them I can email them out.

Paul

Have been looking ALL over the internet for something like this and would definitley be interested. I would really love to install a ratchet shifter on my FMX, and in the same boat as you (brand new rebuild/ shift kit on the FMX so do not want to get rid of it.). PLEASE make one :)

photos sent let me know.

Paul
Also while waiting to see if there's enough interest for R&D do you mind sending me the pictures too? Just incase this doesn't go through maybe I could make one myself :)

Back