FMX Tranny rebuild

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helicopter

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang, 351 Cleveland 2bbl. vinyl roof.
'73 Tang, 351C with FMX Transmission.

I have been phoning Transmissions shops all round and none of them want to try to rebuild an FMX.  They all say there are no source of new parts but several places I looked at have Scott Drake rebuild kits they say is for the FMX.  
Am I getting the run-round or is the FMX really that rare that nobody can rebuild it?

With this "you can't get there from here" attitude, the Yanks would never have gotten to the Moon in '69.  LOL

Just because the parts house they normally use down the street doesn't have them, the parts are readily available:

Trans Parts Online FMX FMX Transmission Parts

Ford | Lincoln | Mercury Transmission Parts - FMX - Rebuild Kits - Global Transmission Parts

Ford FMX transmission (charlietranny.com)

FMX (onlinetransmissionparts.com)

There obviously aren't as many FMX transmissions around these days, but hundreds of thousands of Fords had them. They are no more difficult to rebuild than any other automatic.  You might try looking for some independent transmission repair places, and forget about using a chain shop.

I'm sure there are rebuild videos on YouTube, you might even consider rebuilding your own.

I rebuilt my FMX back in 79 or 80.  I din't remember details, but it was fairly straight forward.  I worked in a garage at the time so I had access to tools like an inch pound torque wrench, but I don't remember there being anything crazy hard about it.   Why not order the kit and have at it?

Back