Foam Gun

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got one off Amazon that just hooks up to the garden hose. It works ok. As mentioned, the ones that connect to a pressure washer work much better, but in a pinch the garden hose ones work as well. I just found the one from the garden hose was more like spraying really soapy water with a little foam, where as the pressure washer one is more actual foam. 

I am always pushing you should never wash a mustang with pressure washer, car wash or even running water. You feet the rust inside the cowl, doors and quarters. No driving it does not help. The sealer inside those areas was put on raw steel before primer. Over time it cracks so when water is there is goes to bare metal and feeds the rust. No reason for all the soap and water the car is never really dirty. Clean water in a bucket and micro fiber towels and just wipe off. You will not feed the rust, wear the paint out or wash your wax off. My 73 has not had running water on it in 38 years now and waxed twice and never buffed. That is original paint and original black on the hood. 
I think the washing of the car is more of a mental thing that a need for the car, lol.

DSC_1264.JPG

I am always pushing you should never wash a mustang with pressure washer, car wash or even running water. You feet the rust inside the cowl, doors and quarters. No driving it does not help. The sealer inside those areas was put on raw steel before primer. Over time it cracks so when water is there is goes to bare metal and feeds the rust. No reason for all the soap and water the car is never really dirty. Clean water in a bucket and micro fiber towels and just wipe off. You will not feed the rust, wear the paint out or wash your wax off. My 73 has not had running water on it in 38 years now and waxed twice and never buffed. That is original paint and original black on the hood. 
I think the washing of the car is more of a mental thing that a need for the car, lol.

View attachment 43379
That's why they are called opinions. If never washing your car works then why do you bring up about all of yours that have rusted into the ground? I'm pretty sure they were not being washed.  I drive my cars, so therefore they get road grime built up on them. But by all means if not washing is working for you carry on.

I only wash Christine a few 2-3 times a year and that's only when she's been sitting in the garage for over a month and I feel a wipe down with a California Duster isn't going to get her clean.

But I do agree, that less water on our cars is a good thing.

On the old cars I use a duster, clay bar once a year, and wax once a year (they don't get driven much). On my daily driver, wash as needed, clay bar once a year, wax 2-3 times a year.

They did come from the factory with rust. NPD in Charlotte sent me pics of their last Cougar built. Seems like it has like 200 miles never in the rain. All of the suspension is rusty since it had no paint on lots of the pieces. I have been stripping paint off OEM parts that have the original Ford paint. Every piece I do has rust under the original Ford primer and paint. We were a supplier to Ford for stampings for years. Parts get ran at the supplier and yes you do try to keep inventory down today but back then they sat for months some times. If you find the date stamp on your sheet metal compare to your build date and can be months apart. Those raw steel parts sitting around rust. Yes they ran the bodies through a wash and phosphate but you have bodies sitting over weekends and such. Today they have to run them out cannot let the primer set too long before color and clear go on or will peel. Ford had huge issue with that lots of recalls. 

So just yesterday I was working on front fenders on the Q vert. The body was dip stripped and back to epoxy. The front fenders were in primer so I figured he had stripped them also. I was blocking one of them and hit color on a high spot. So I got the DA out and sure enough he had primed over the old factory grabber blue paint so not original to the car it is gold glow and had protection package and this fender did not have the holes for that and not welded. I got most of the paint off there was rust everywhere on the fender. The trunk lid that I stripped was also rusty all over and it was factory paint and still had the OK stamp on the end of the trunk. 

They are just cars for sure and they will rust regardless of what you do but some things will accelerate the rust for sure. Difficult to keep a car built to last 5 years going for 50 years.

Back