FOR ALL THE FOLKS THAT CAN'T AFFORD A '71 BOSS 351

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool......I'll have to get one for my collection, ( as if I already don't have more kits than I should ). Now, if I were the guy generating the box art for this, it would, at least, occur to me that , Isn't the gas cap incorrect?

Last edited:
Now all you need is a Boss 302 kit to make the 71 Boss 302 they never made...but did.

The twist-off fuel cap is correct for a '71 Boss 351. The pop-open flip-down fuel cap was only production installed in '71 and early '72 on Mach 1s.

@Austin Vert, thanks for discovering and posting that new Boss 351 model kit. I haven't built models in years, but it looks as though I had better dig my old modeling tools out and knock the dust off them. The majority of them I built were AMT kits. The detail on Revell's body, the "Tree" parts, and the decals are impressive. When I was....younger and had the eyesight, I remember painstakingly painting the instrument faces and hoping for the best. I sure wished the decals for the instrument faces were around in those days! 🙂

1685302519010.png

Well, Interesting. One would think Ford would use the flip open style being more "competition looking". Obviously, I haven't paid attention to that detail of Boss 351 cars. I've often thought the same about the front bumper, that it seemed backwards to put the chromed bumper on the Boss, and the "spoiler" bumper on the others, save for the Grande' , although, I really like the looks of the chromed front bumper much more than the rubber one.

The twist-off fuel cap is correct for a '71 Boss 351. The pop-open flip-down fuel cap was only production installed in '71 and early '72 on Mach 1s.

@Austin Vert, thanks for discovering and posting that new Boss 351 model kit. I haven't built models in years, but it looks as though I had better dig my old modeling tools out and knock the dust off them. The majority of them I built were AMT kits. The detail on Revell's body, the "Tree" parts, and the decals are impressive. When I was....younger and had the eyesight, I remember painstakingly painting the instrument faces and hoping for the best. I sure wished the decals for the instrument faces were around in those days! 🙂

View attachment 77215
Thanks Steve,

Yes, it's been many a year since i did my last modelling project, and now i would have to take into account failing eyesight and a steady hand needed to bring home a decent result. This kind of work is not suited to people with shaky hands, that's for sure! :giggle::giggle:

Thanks Steve,

Yes, it's been many a year since i did my last modelling project, and now i would have to take into account failing eyesight and a steady hand needed to bring home a decent result. This kind of work is not suited to people with shaky hands, that's for sure! :giggle::giggle:
That's why many signpainters were alcoholics by the time they were journeymen...

Well, Interesting. One would think Ford would use the flip open style being more "competition looking". Obviously, I haven't paid attention to that detail of Boss 351 cars. I've often thought the same about the front bumper, that it seemed backwards to put the chromed bumper on the Boss, and the "spoiler" bumper on the others, save for the Grande' , although, I really like the looks of the chromed front bumper much more than the rubber one.
Spike, yes, but don't forget the Boss was a version of the 02 Fastback, not the 05 Mach 1. Why was that???

Compared to what is/was available, this kit is fantastic. I see a few misses on certain details, but nothing that would make me twitch like the AMT/MPC offering. Arii had a nicely molded 1/24 but it had no engine. The Doyousha 1/12 kit was impressive, but once I saw a built model, I stopped looking for one as the proportions were way off.

I see a pop open cap on the chrome tree, so there might be a Mach 1 release in the future, with the addition of the correct front bumper. Decal sheet is impressive, with both black and argent options.

Listing on Hobbylinc - https://www.hobbylinc.com/revell-mo...oss-351-plastic-model-car-kit-1:25-scale-4512

Great Hobbies for our Canadian brethren - https://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=RMX4512

It occurred to me, while I was checking out the posting here, that, for Revell to get into the '71-'73 market in 2023, some 52 years after the cars were produced, may be an indication of the vehicles enduring popularity. Perhaps it's simply interesting subject matter. Whatever the reason, this is a strong showing for these cars. You know, ever since the weather has stopped and I can park my Mach out in the driveway now,...........not a day goes by that I don't look at it and think.." that's a cool looking car". I attended an "HOA " meeting in my neighborhood the other day, and quite a few people greeted me by saying "oh, your the neighbor with that Mach 1". Today, these cars really stand out.

I have been waiting to post this when the model was officially available. My car was 3D scanned for this model. I was approached at a car show in Raceway Woods (site of Meadowdale Raceway in the 60's) in Carpentersville, Il in the fall of 2019. The car was scanned in August 2020 so it has taken a while for the model to come out. Theoretically it will be available in July. As you can see they included my plate in the decals.
P1000078.JPG

I have been waiting to post this when the model was officially available. My car was 3D scanned for this model. I was approached at a car show in Raceway Woods (site of Meadowdale Raceway in the 60's) in Carpentersville, Il in the fall of 2019. The car was scanned in August 2020 so it has taken a while for the model to come out. Theoretically it will be available in July. As you can see they included my plate in the decals.
View attachment 77264
That must feel rewarding to be part of this process. I would love to see it done. Looks like they sprayed more stuff on details, to help highlight them.

That must feel rewarding to be part of this process. I would love to see it done. Looks like they sprayed more stuff on details, to help highlight them.
It is pretty cool to know my car was good enough for this and just plain lucky that someone from Revell was at the car show.

The process of the 3D scanning was very interesting but the spray they used did not wash off as expected. I was told they had done two of Chip Foose's cars but his cars are pretty much new since they get completely repainted. I ended up with some etching on two panels, the spoilers, and the black lower section and between the tail lights. Between detailing and repainting the black areas it is back to probably a little better than before. Revell picked up the bill for this work. So at the time before the problem were addressed I was kicking myself for letting it happen but since everything turned out ok I am excited to see the model come out.

That is very cool.

I know this is a long shot, but any chance they'll let you have the 3D models of your car? There are a bunch of parts I've considered 3D printing or pulling into CAD to mock some things if I could get a decent scan of it, so always wanted to get a good scan of these cars.

Back