For Sale in Michigan

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recall posting a craigslist ad from Saginaw Michigan on this site a few months ago. The subject was a somewhat clean looking 351C mach 1 1972? relatively intact but well worn with the engine out. The asking price was $5000. which did not seem to be a bargain to me but not insane either. "Someone" from Carolina responded that the price was outrageous and that he bought running driving cars all the time for $1000-1500. I was confused at the time as I don't see any $1000. running cars like that in MI or down south when I went down "car scrounging" a few years ago. Now after seeing pics of his car for sale I understand completely. If I am selling the car, its worthless, if he is selling it=priceless. I know its a free country but flippers hurt hobbies.

Wow...........I was just looking for maybe a future project.... No words, I guess. Below is what I was thinking of building. Big block sleeper to just take out and beat on.

Well, at least now you know you won't have to go all the way to Michigan to get it.  Probably be able to talk him down a bit, as well.  :whistling:

Too soon?   lollerz

You guys do not know how to take a joke. You did not even see Or Best Offer, lol. Have couple guys interested so I pulled the ads. It will go to a new home and I will make a profit and one new owner will be very happy because he or she has a car that he has to replace zero panels on and can do in very quick time with no help from a shop if he or she wants. Both were looking for Grande that nobody wants, lol. 

They sold them to original owners for a reason they wanted them. Not everyone wants a fastback. I like convertibles way more than my Mach 1. 

So you guys go buy the rusted out hulks and spend way to much to restore and it be like some call a Frankenstein monster which they are. Not collectible just a great driver. Each to their own I will never buy rust only good solid metal Coupe, convertible or fastback. Waste of money to do otherwise.

Oh BTW what you pay for a car has nothing to do with the selling price. The last two I have sold went for 5 times my purchase price. Buyers were extremely happy with their purchase. Every used car sold is a flip you buy for as cheap as you can and hopefully sell for a profit. Nobody buying and selling cars wants to loose. You do not force anyone to buy they pay what they want to. Saying flipping is bad does not make any sense. How many companies or businesses do you know that buy and mark down and sell? Supply and demand and finding the right buyer are the keys. Most get in too much of a rush and do not wait for the customer to find them. Might take years but there is always someone looking for just what you have. Maybe not a six cylinder, lol. I know people that have put $85,000 into a six cylinder that is now worth maybe $12,000 but that was their baby. 

When I talked to an investment counselor his advice was for me to buy and sell cars since I knew them. Stocks or something similar would have been a waste of my efforts. He said go with what you know. 

It works so I keep doing it. 

So glad you guys got some laughs and some good ribbing in I am tough I was a tool & die maker you just do not know what we went through.

Now I have to sell the 65 coupe I bought.

You guys do not know how to take a joke. You did not even see Or Best Offer, lol. Have couple guys interested so I pulled the ads. It will go to a new home and I will make a profit and one new owner will be very happy because he or she has a car that he has to replace zero panels on and can do in very quick time with no help from a shop if he or she wants. Both were looking for Grandé that nobody wants, lol. 

They sold them to original owners for a reason they wanted them. Not everyone wants a fastback. I like convertibles way more than my Mach 1. 

So you guys go buy the rusted out hulks and spend way to much to restore and it be like some call a Frankenstein monster which they are. Not collectible just a great driver. Each to their own I will never buy rust only good solid metal Coupe, convertible or fastback. Waste of money to do otherwise.
Haha. Who can't take a joke  :chin: But, I agree regarding the rust issue. I live in in the Rust belt and always buy car's from Cali, AZ, or even British Columbia here North of the Border for the past 25 year's or so... 

I recently bought a Coupe after being away from them since 1980... Can't wait to drive it this summer. I like them all. I've had fastback's for the longest time, but switched to vert's starting in 2015 when I bought ny J Code to restore. Added a nice H Code 45 K mi Canadian (British Columbia) '73 vert in 2017 and bought my '73 Coupe in the Fall of 2019. It's not the body style generally, that I look for; its the driveline that catch's my interest first. However, any significant rust is a no go for me today. I've been down that road for the first 20 year's in the hobby and i can now look to spend a little more on a car that is rust free. Money well spent in my book's, but I have a lot of respect for those who fix up a rusty car. True hobbyist's...

You guys do not know how to take a joke. You did not even see Or Best Offer, lol. Have couple guys interested so I pulled the ads. It will go to a new home and I will make a profit and one new owner will be very happy because he or she has a car that he has to replace zero panels on and can do in very quick time with no help from a shop if he or she wants. Both were looking for Grandé that nobody wants, lol. 

Most rational people don't see a $6500 price differential on a $2000 non-running project car as much of a joke.  Aside from that, you gotta take what you give when it comes to 'jokes' around here.  Can't take it, don't dish it.  I know that I, for one, didn't find anything 'funny' about this whole thread.

As well, through all your poetic waxing above (or geriatric ramblings... take your pick), you seem to be calling me out, basically saying I've created a monster and wasted my money because I didn't spend more money on a project car that was up to your standards.  You know David, I could really care less what you think about me, what I've done, or why I did it... much less, for you the same.  My recommendation: pull the stick out and move on - your back will likely feel better and you won't be sittin' funny.

At the end of the day, I have a cool 1971 Mach 1 that's fun to drive, fun to work on, wins awards at local car shows, and everybody seems to appreciate - especially, considering how bad off it was when I started.  It's the only one in San Angelo (running, registered, and driven), and I'm VERY proud of it because I built this car with my own skills, money, time, and effort.  I don't care if it was worth less than what I originally paid your cousin when I bought (you guys must be related after all, he was a wannabe flipper as well, but I saw through his lies and lack of knowledge before handing him any money) - this is MY car, that I built the way I wanted it, and nobody can take that away from me.  I don't (and never will) have delusions that my H-Code is particularly valuable... it's an H-Code!  Still numbers matching (aside from the AOD), however still just an H-Code - the 2nd lowest-end engine offered in the Mach 1 line.  I leave all of the high sale prices, MCA awards, and MOM displays to those who have rare, nice, and collector cars with such aspirations.  I'd rather enjoy my Mach 1 while I'm still able... and by enjoy, I mean "drive it around and go to car shows so others can enjoy it as well."  I've already lost one best friend before he could finish any of his cool car projects... I don't intend that to be me.

And my car will never be for sale as long as I still live.  What my wife does with it when I'm gone is her business... what I do with it while I AM alive, is mine.  We're good like that.

Oh BTW what you pay for a car has nothing to do with the selling price. The last two I have sold went for 5 times my purchase price. Buyers were extremely happy with their purchase. Every used car sold is a flip you buy for as cheap as you can and hopefully sell for a profit. Nobody buying and selling cars wants to loose. You do not force anyone to buy they pay what they want to. Saying flipping is bad does not make any sense. How many companies or businesses do you know that buy and mark down and sell? Supply and demand and finding the right buyer are the keys. Most get in too much of a rush and do not wait for the customer to find them. Might take years but there is always someone looking for just what you have. Maybe not a six cylinder, lol. I know people that have put $85,000 into a six cylinder that is now worth maybe $12,000 but that was their baby. 

When I talked to an investment counselor his advice was for me to buy and sell cars since I knew them. Stocks or something similar would have been a waste of my efforts. He said go with what you know. 

So glad you guys got some laughs and some good ribbing in I am tough I was a tool & die maker you just do not know what we went through.

If you haven't gotten the clue by now, people in general don't appreciate feeling like they got ripped off.  Sure, you found a project in good shape for cheap, and nobody blames you for wanting to make some money on the deal by passing it along.  Shoot, most people would be happy to have such a nice starting point... however, not for the buy-in price of 4 times the actual value.  The fair value for a '71-'73 Grande that actually runs in the condition you're presenting it isn't even half your mark-up price.  

Most people understand that this kind of crap happens all the time, and many don't even realize what they're getting into.  Where the disdain for flippers comes from most people is the greed and misrepresentation from said flippers.  You're basically lying saying that car is worth $8500 in its current, non-running state.  What other lies do you tell to seal the deal?  THAT, is what people find reprehensible.

That is also one of the reasons this site was founded - whether intentional, or not, the wealth of information found at this site is shared freely to help those who might not know much about '71-'73 Mustangs learn about them, and yes - to help them find the best deal to fulfill their needs... whether rare and collectible cars, to turn-key classic hot rods, to weekend projects in all levels of condition, trim, price ranges.  That means knowing what they're getting into so they don't waste their money, time, or other resources along the way.

And now we have [what I believed to be] a respected member laughing about getting busted in the process of doing some shady dealing.  I'm smelling a conflict of interest here.  I know there are some moderators & administrators at some sites that would ban your @ss for doing such things.  But - keep doing what you're doing because it works for you.  I would recommend you keep your dollar figures and sales techniques to yourself in the future, however.

Now I have to ask because you post everything so why have you never posted about the two cars you sold ???

So what do tool and die makers go through ?

Back