Ford v. Ferrari

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I watched it last night in Imax. It was awesome! My heart was racing like if I was the driver. The little I am familiar with the original story I think it was covered very well. Obviously, as they always do in the movies some events were made to be a lot shorter than they really were and they skipped some important details. Here are some small details that I noted:

-I thought it was Shelby that pitched the idea to Iaccoca, but it was the other way in the movie.

-The GT40 race program started with Lola in UK. They skipped directly to when the Lola chassis landed in the US.

-The movie shows Ken Miles not going to the 1965 Le Mans race, but my understanding is that he participated.

Sunday is wedding anniversary - hope to get the wife into the cinema... She do not know exactly what about the film is  :D 

Could one of you babysitting our three kids, please?
No problem.  Be more than glad to baby sit for you.  Just send two round trip air from Cincinnati to me and leave the keys for the stang.      :D

Sunday is wedding anniversary - hope to get the wife into the cinema... She do not know exactly what about the film is  :D 

I can also provide several names of good divorce lawyers as well.

I don't know how many of you read what Ford posted a couple weeks ago about the GT-40 project.

Will have to go looking for the info. They opened their vault and pulled out some of the real info on the project. They actually still have all of the engineering drawings for the cars. 

They made a statement cut and pasted from the article. "The film is a piece of entertainment, first and foremost. It's what I would characterize as a dramatic reinterpretation of history," says Jay Ward, Ford director of Europe product communications and public affairs.

Should have a link in a day or so from the MOM. They had a weekend thing last week for the GT-40. They also had some speakers attend and one was Lee Holman. They did record it and will put up for everyone to hear more of a real version of what happened. 

I have not seen the movie will probably wait for it to come to TV, lol. 

I sat and talked with Lee Holman a couple times he loves to tell tales about Shelby and how little he did. 

I ask Lee why he never got into driving and he said his dad told him that was not his job. He did get the job of seating the brakes on all the cars at Le Mans. 

He also talked about his dad getting tired of seeing the last 12 complete cars sitting in Charlotte. I think he wanted $140,000 for 12 complete running cars. Lee said he went to bank and to get loan his dad would have to sign. His dad said Hell No I want them gone if you buy they will stay here. They also had bodies stacked up out back. One of our members here use to go to Holman & Moody when he was a boy. He said he use to go play in the piles of GT-40's out back. 

More or less Ford Engineers did all the details and Holman & Moody made the cars run, handle and have durability. Shelby never could. The engineer that had the project at Ford is still alive, Mose Noland.

Here is link to the Ford info. 

https://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/movies/julie-hinds/2019/11/08/ford-ferrari-real-story-christian-bale-matt-damon/2521424001/

No problem.  Be more than glad to baby sit for you.  Just send two round trip air from Cincinnati to me and leave the keys for the stang.      :D
:D

Ok - but you have to tell the cops why in the world you have renounced of all safety features of the car... 

But it's driveable  ;)

I can also provide several names of good divorce lawyers as well.

Ummh... I know few of them already... But thanks, Randy - you never know...

:D

Ok - but you have to tell the cops why in the world you have renounced of all safety features of the car... 

But it's driveable  ;)
No problem,  I'll pack the following items -

lollerz lollerz lollerz

By the way - Happy Anniversary!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got back home from watching the movie Ford V Ferrari. I thought it was very well done, excellent attention to detail, heck, even a bottle of Johnny Walker Black Label scotch had the correct label on it. It IS a movie, but as such, very enjoyable. I'd watch it again and for sure will buy the Blue-Ray when it comes out.

Back in, I think 66 or 67, where I lived in Birmingham UK, a local Esso Petrol (gas) station had a glass display building out front. This particular time, there was a GT 40 in Gulf livery and I remember the display board saying the chassis was "bonded honey-comb Aluminium". Also, it was my understanding that all the Mk 1,2 & 3 chassis were built by Lola Race Cars in or around Coventry.

I'm inspired to do some research to clarify my aging mind.

Got to see it last night. No idea about the true story but the story told is good. Loved seeing the racing, great movie! Also awesome to see the gt40, what a car!

They had the new season of Autobiography on MT last night, and it was all about Ford vs Ferrari. The real story. They even had Matt Damon and Christian Bale on there too. What a terrific story. I never really know about it because I was 1 years old when it happened.

Ken Miles really was an amazing Driver, Engineer, and Mechanic. He and Shelby worked tirelessly to tweak the Mk II version of the GT40 till it was perfection.

The part I didnt know was that Ken died in a crash at the ford testing facility in California just a couple of months after winning the big race.

The GT 40 car used in the film that was driven by Christian Bale will be auctioned off at the Mecum Auto Auction in Kissimmee this January. One of several incredible cars that will be there including the Piston powered land speed record car, and the Steve McQueen Bullit Mustang. Best thing is, I will be there as always. One benefit of living in the Orlando, FL metro area. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw the movie when it first came out, both my wife and I enjoyed it. Christian Bale, as Ken Miles, is the one to watch in this movie. As far as Carroll Shelby, the story to be told about him starts way before the GT-40/LeMans deal. You could shoot a movie twice as long on just Shelby, his racing days, his Goodyear dealership, The Cobras, the Daytonas, etc.

Yep Spike,

Go to Netflix and watch the documentary "Shelby American"

Let me know what you think.  I think it gave so much better a story than Ford vs Ferrari.

Back