Found build sheet under passenger seat on top of the pedestal.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 mach 1 M code ram air 4-speed(Sold)
71 coupe 351 4V ram air C-6(Sold)
(2)70 mach 1's one H code one M code both autos(Sold M-code)
71 ranchero M code shaker loaded with options but is base ranchero
71 cougar XR7 convert M code
71 M-code standard low option fastback factory Grabber green.(future Boss 351 clone)
I left my 71 coupe parked outside all week and it rained several days, and the passenger side carpet was soaked so I pulled it in to take the carpet out and as I suspected the carpet had never been out. I was pleasantly surprised to find the build sheet in really good condition under the passenger seat under the carpet on top of the pedestal. I also found enough of another one under the gas pedal to be able to read the vin for my car on it. But the other surprise was finding a turn signal stalk sandwiched between the carpet and sound deadener pad and a few screws. Over the years I have found quite a few neat pieces such as a ford coffee cup,window crank screw covers still on the paper(2),door jam switch and build sheets for other cars including a torino. I would like to know what you guys have found?

That's cool you found the build sheets after all those years. I found two build sheets on my 73 convert when I pulled the carpet out way back in 1974. I bought a used Lincoln Town Car a few years back and found a gold Mont Blanc pen under the seat, they sell for about $180 online! I also found a cell phone under the seat of the same car. I found an end wrench and a nitrous hose under the back seat of our 2004 Mach 1. Other than that some nuts, bolts, and coins.

I left my 71 coupe parked outside all week and it rained several days, and the passenger side carpet was soaked so I pulled it in to take the carpet out and as I suspected the carpet had never been out. I was pleasantly surprised to find the build sheet in really good condition under the passenger seat under the carpet on top of the pedestal. I also found enough of another one under the gas pedal to be able to read the vin for my car on it. But the other surprise was finding a turn signal stalk sandwiched between the carpet and sound deadener pad and a few screws. Over the years I have found quite a few neat pieces such as a ford coffee cup,window crank screw covers still on the paper(2),door jam switch and build sheets for other cars including a torino. I would like to know what you guys have found?
I found my final inspection sheet for my 72 convertible under the passenger side carpet also, but the weirdest thing was I also found a fork under the padding... must have been lunch time???

mustang stuff 005.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I found all sorts of interesting stuff in my Mach 1. Steak knife, a white pleather leisure shoe (like the ones Randy Quaid wore on National Lampoon Vacation), a plastic cap gun, a scary-looking stuffed rabbit, an aluminum comb, a vintage oil can spout (behind a headlight bucket), an 8-track tape, and a can of 'something' that was pretty much some kind of black sludge but had absolutely no smell whatsoever.

The most interesting thing I found was discovered about 4 months after I got the car. The previous owner said they lost the keys... so I drilled out the ignition key cylinder for steering purposes.

Yeah... I found the keys embedded in the carpet under the driver seat when I was pulling up the carpet and removing the driver seat. (where's the smacking my own forehead smilie, anyway?)

Yes I agree pics would have been good but I was too concerned about the water to even think about the pics. I did upload my build sheet to the registry page for my coupe you click on it and it will supersize for better viewing I found they are much easier to read this way.

Thanks for the comments,

Tom

A few kids pencils, 1/2 of a pendent necklace, and yes, a weed pipe hidden deep in the dash. :huh:

I found a 4 ft. rat snake laying across the motor the other day.Not what you expect when you open the hood.........like to have messed my pants.....
I know how you feel, I was working on my father's F150 a couple of years ago and laying underneath changing the fuel filter. Then I opened the hood and a snake slithered down towards where I had been laying. I can't imagine what I would have done if the snake had landed on me under the truck!

tools, a beehive where the dome light was, parts to other cars, junk, match books from the 70s,

an engine receipt for having the block dipped and machined from 1999(no idea if this was for my engine, since mine needed a rebuild in 2007), sadly no build sheet because somebody had gutted the car at some point and then put it all back together. so they cleaned out anything paper under the original carpeting.

Back