• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

FOUND - no longer needed. Ford (not reproduction) front fender extensions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71' Grande project.
Looking for a pair of fender extensions.  I am going to have them powder coated.

Must be ding and dent free, and have all three mounting posts.  Chrome can be in fair to poor condition.  Just need something that can be prepped smooth without filler and receive powder coating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately the remaining ones out back are either chrome for 71/72 or the longer 73s.   Sorry about that, I thought I had one more set of 71/72s.  May want to check with Don at Ohio Mustang.  He may have some used ones also.  

IMG_9792.jpg

IMG_9793.jpg

IMG_9794.jpg

I actually found another pair of 71/72s upstairs at the garage today.  These have nice chrome on the outside and can be blasted and painted/powder coated if your interested. 

IMG_9796.jpg

IMG_9797.jpg

IMG_9798.jpg

Why would you powder coat. That is not very durable in UV. Yes tough but not very long lasting. If you do not believe go look at your powder coated lawn mower. Another example of how the EPA forced mfg to change not better for product but for earth. In UV and salt spray testing good old single stage paint is the best. I was automotive product, process and tooling engineer. Also engineering manager at lawn equipment factory. Powder can take a beating physically but is is a plastic coating that cannot handle UV at all.

I have never put much thought into UV rays / vs powdercoating.  99.99% of the time my project car is garaged out of the sun.  I do like the chip resistance of powdercoating.  I also like that the powder itself has a near indefinite shelf life.  I can get something coated today, and 5 years from now I can have another part coated with the same powder that has been stored and the finish will be exactly the same.  I've got powdercoated wheels on my 4x4 that is parked outside all the time and gets exposed to all sort of deicer and cinders in the winter.  The powdercoat isn't perfect 3 years later but it is pretty good.

I wonder what the UV resistance is of cerakote is.  That is something else I considered for the bumpers, trim and fender extensions.

When it comes to painting, I am absolutely abysmal at it.  I have had mixed results with local painters doing small jobs.  The powdercoating shop I use always delivers consistent results that are excellent.   We'll see how these turn out.   

Me and my son kart raced and the frame and engine covers went to work with me and got powder coated. Yes chipping is less due to being plastic not a paint. Long term no way powder is better than real paint not base clear that sucks also. Look at all the peeling sun burnt cars out there. I have a VW beetle that the PO kept in car port. Sun always hit the R.H. front and that fender and part of hood is peeling and the headlight cover is milky. The other side is great. UV kills clear, paint or plastic. I just polished my headlights on my F-150 yesterday third time I think.

Back